44

-Kaisa-

A thunderbolt booms throughout the sky.

"What was that?" Pastor Nick inquires.

"Don't know." I bite my nails.

A wave of discomfort fills my body. I have no doubt in my body that the sound we've just witnessed is the transformation of another titan. My eyes dart to Levi, asking him silently what we should do since I know he's figured it out himself. He doesn't face me and instead keeps his head straight.

"Keep your head forward, Kaisa." He softly reminds.

I stay silent and drown in my own thoughts about the issues; I feel incredibly uneasy; so, uncomfortable. The nerves aren't exciting me this time, instead, it scares me. For once, my stomach is churning, and I can feel myself warming up in anticipation. We haven't even arrived but my fight or flight response is being triggered.

The ground shakes underneath us and another crash is heard from the distance. Tension fills my body; my heart pounds against my chest, and I can feel my blood pumping every single vein in my body.

This new feeling is overwhelming. I feel dissociated, but incredibly grounded at the same time. I feel like I'm seeing myself from above; the entire landscape is in my view and I can see it clearly and accurately. It's all confusing. My perception has never been this good, what makes this moment any different?

All at once, my heart feels heavy.

Someone is dead.

No, at least three are dead.

I don't know how I've come to this conclusion, but I feel it.

Is this a premonition?

"Are we going to get to them in time?" Eren looks at me with worry, cutting through my thoughts.

"You know I can't answer that question." I answer. "But that's not a question we should be thinking about. You should be thinking about what your next moves are going to be once you get there."

Eren nods his head in response and looks back in the direction we're heading.

We've been alerted that the castle we were already heading to has been swarmed with titans. Luckily, the new recruits aren't alone and are with experienced leaders alongside them; even then, I'm still worried about what we'll see when we arrive.

Although my gear is on, I'm not sure that I'll be engaging with the action. Even if it seems like my wounds are healing, I still feel the consequences from them. My recklessness continuously bites me in the ass and for once, I don't want to see someone die because of my mistakes.

The castle comes into sight just as the sun begins to rise for the morning. A pile of dead titan's rest at the bottom of stone slabs from a collapsed building. The titans continue to quarrel with whoever is in the centre of that mess, but immediately, Hange jumps into action. Her squad, who literally just arrived moments behind us, follows suit and reigns havoc on the titans.

I stand on the cart which is still moving, giving out the instructions for this group

"Eren, don't fight any titans. We're just here to help the others escape, got it?" I instruct. He nods his head before standing up to leave. I put a hand on his shoulder and force him back to his seat with a small push. He lets out a soft grunt and Levi covers his mouth casually which I assume his attempt of stifling a laugh.

"Not done yet, big shot. Armin and Mikasa, you're expected to eliminate some titans, but meet us once you're done on the sidelines. Levi and I are going to try to get those injured out and then also go around to do a body count." I inform them. Levi raises an eyebrow but doesn't respond; Eren doesn't give me that luxury.