2

-Kaisa-

The next morning, I find myself having to drag my body out of bed as I take a look at the clock next to me. Today is another expedition for some idea Erwin has planned out for us. None of us really knew what went through his head and it was very rare that he provided us with a clear description behind his decisions. Frankly, I wish I had some insight but at the end of the day, I trusted Erwin and the Survey Corps.

Attaching my belt to my waist and legs, I find myself worrying about the new cadets that will be joining us on this first expedition. It would be the first time being outside the walls for any of them. I shove my right leg into its boot while cleansing my mind of negative thoughts, I didn't have time to linger on this nor did I have the energy to give attention to them anymore. I grab the ODM gear and strap it into the different loops in my belts. Whoever invented this contraption is the reason we're still alive today. Sure, the three walls helped keep the titans out until recently, but these devices were what really kept us from being overwhelmed. Mastering this gear came second nature to me, but I attribute that to my history of what I'd definitely call parkour. Its two grappling hooks takes hold of any surface it encounters, allowing the user to swing in any direction with the use of the air tank behind it. It was like a swing except with unlimited options. They were the wings to our freedom.

With all of my gear on, I wrap my green hooded cape around me, sporting our winged logo as I left my room. The survey corps were the Wings of Freedom and we were determined to take our inherited land back from the plague called titans.

I followed the corridor, down the steps, and continued towards the main hall where breakfast was being served. With a bounce in each step, I enter the dining room where the clear divide between the survey corps and new cadets sat, eating their breakfast in their own respective groups. Making my way towards the delicious smelling breakfast, I plop a couple of items onto my plate as my grumbling stomach yearned for the rationed meal. Eggs, bread, and butter, it's all one could ever need and want.

"Kaisa! We've been waiting for you! Don't worry we've saved you a spot, but I'm gonna have to charge a piece of your bread for my good will" Hanji beamed in front of me.

Hanji was the definition of a mad scientist. Her brown hair was always tied up in messy ponytail and her eyes hid behind the glare of her oval glasses as she sported a huge smile. I look towards the table and find myself looking at a bunch of green capes before gazing into a pair of steel shaded eyes. I raised an eyebrow and brought my attention back up to the taller woman.

"Just because I'm short doesn't mean that I need less food to function, trust me when I say that the titans don't need bread to live on." I respond as I walk towards the vacant seat.

"Awh, come on Kaisa, can't you just grant me this one wish?" Hanji complains.

I take a seat on the bench and turn to look at her as she made her way back to the seat next to me. "Haven't I done enough by capturing those two titans for you in the first place" I whine.

"That doesn't count, Erwin made you do it and Levi helped too so it was a team effort, not just the goodness of your heart." She pouted before shoving a piece of bread into her mouth.

I looked across to the same steel eyes from before, he seemed unamused by the theatrics laid out in front of him. I shook my head before turning back at Hanji letting out a little laugh.

"What gave you the impression I did things out of the 'goodness of my heart'" I mocked.

"Levi" Hanji dragged out the name, "Make Kaisa do something nice" she continued.

"I'm not in the mood for your antics, four-eyes." Levi grumbled as he pulled his teacup to his lips.

Hanji's face was one of betrayal and I couldn't help but giggle into my hand before looking back at Levi to find him staring off at the wall across the room. They were polar opposites and nothing made me happier than to watch them bicker about such pointless things such as food rations. I opened my mouth to comment on the entire situation until the main door opened, silencing the room.

"Alright Cadets, breakfast is over. Grab your gear and meet out on north side of Wall Rose in 10 minutes and we'll go over orders for this expedition and assign you your leaders." Called out Gunther.

The cadets quickly put their items away and rushed towards their rooms to prepare for the day ahead while Gunther stepped out of the way making his way towards us.

"What are you guys even doing here? You know you're supposed to have different break times than the cadets." He said leaning on a squad member, Eld.

I shrugged my shoulders and swallowed the food I had in my mouth. "I literally just got here and ended up being bombarded by these fools."

The table let out a laugh with the exception of Levi and Hanji who both looked annoyed and defeated in their own way. I give Gunther a smile and he shakes his head, letting out a chuckle. He was by far one of my favourite comrades. He always read the room perfectly and managed to bring joy to all the little things even in moments of despair through his wise words or overall goofy personality. I stuff my face with the last piece of my bread and stand up dusting my pants off getting ready to leave.

"Hey! Did you drink water today?" Gunther asks noticing the only thing in my hand is my plate.

"Nah, but maybe I'll think about it." I wink.

He shakes his head in disappointment but I pay no attention as I walk towards the sink to drop my utensils in while hearing the benches creak behind me as people leave. I turn around and see Gunther with a glass filled with water held in front of my face.

"You need to drink. You should know better than to be careless with your health, don't leave your chances of survival to luck." Levi states before leaving the room.

I roll my eyes and grab the glass before downing it and putting it in the sink. Gunther sighs and puts his hand on his forehead.

"You know he's right. In order to be Humanity's Tempest you have to be able to actually move around quickly." Gunther sighed.

I look back at him and stay quiet. He's not wrong. It's true that I was given the name as Humanity's Tempest. After arriving here, they realized how easily I moved within my gear as I flew across the sky with agility and precision becoming one with the wind. It's so cheesy I feel like I could throw up, but I knew that different titles like these gave hope to the every day citizen who weren't able to fight for themselves like I could. I leave Gunther in the dining hall and make may way out of the room before shooting my grappling hook against the wall. 

--

hi hey hello!

i hope you guys enjoy this double update :) i may upload again later today because i'm pretty invested lol

i thought the gif of hanji above was too good to not share, so, you're welcome ;)

much love and take care,

~cendiain