76

-Kaisa-

I awake to a gentle hand carefully running through my hair. With caution, it softly brushes against my head, sending a warm feeling throughout my core. Levi's chest rises and falls at a steady pace, a rhythm that my own breathing has synced to as we slept. With tired eyes and a sleep deprived mind, a yawn escapes me before I snuggle myself further into his embrace.

"Morning." I mumble.

Instead of giving me an answer, Levi simply hums in acknowledgement.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask.

"For the last three hours." He answers.

"Is your arm okay?"

"No—it's completely numb."

Swiftly, I lift my head and move his arm from underneath my neck, placing it on his chest before snuggling into his arm, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You looked too peaceful to wake up for such a trivial thing." Levi comments, rubbing his arm to instigate blood flow.

Nudging him, I chastise him, "Lack of blood flow is not a trivial thing. You need both arms to be functioning today—all those soldiers are relying on you."

"They're relying on you, too." He comments.

"We'll figure it out together. I'm just really glad that Erwin decided that we could have the morning off since there wasn't really anything for us to do. Everything was prepared last night and all we gotta do is just wait until the evening and head out when all those freaks are sleeping." I sigh in relief.

"We shouldn't be resting. There should be last minute checks for everything happening right now." Levi expresses his disagreement.

"We did that last night before the buffet." I counter.

"What if someone missed something?" Levi quickly shoots back.

I groan, not wanting to talk about the mission until it comes around, "Everything is going to be double checked at 5pm, Levi. You need to stop worrying and relax."

"I'm not worried; I trust Erwin's judgement."

"Okay, then shut up."

Levi clicks his tongue before sitting up in bed, fixing his hair slightly and adjusting his messed up sweater. Admiring the view, I find that I'm not as tired as before and sit up next to him before placing a soft kiss on his cheek. Initially he moves away before leaning back and ruffling my bedhead. A smile grazes my lips and I flop back down to rest for a bit longer while Levi climbs over me to head to the washroom. Resting here alone in his bed, a sudden sadness overwhelms me.

This could be the last day I see Levi.

The likelihood of this mission succeeding is low. We have no idea who, or what, we're going against, and we don't know of their plans. Maybe there are more titan shifters out in the world, and maybe there are other people like me who can harbour incredible strengths. Unlike me, though, they may understand their abilities and have them mastered for battle. They'll want to take Eren again for what I'm assuming is his own titan abilities, and if that's the case, this is an all-or-nothing gamble that Erwin has us doing again. That man truly is a devil.

The door swings open with a refreshed Levi who looks a bit happier after washing his face. Walking to his desk, he rummages through his drawers until he finds a box, pulling it out. Curiously, I watch his movement while lying down. Inside are fresh snowflake-shaped blades awaiting their purpose—a fight. All of my stars were exhausted, and I hadn't used one in a long time, but the feeling of the steel between my fingers is something I didn't know I craved until seeing them.