Chapter 10

Scott's POV

Where did this courage come all of a sudden? Since when could I just ask Mitch Grassi to hang out with me? Apparently since now on because against all odds, he said yes.

I was meeting up with one of the most popular guys in school tomorrow. What even is life right now?

Walking home I kept thinking about my afternoon together with Kirstie and Mitch. I had so much fun, even though they were much gigglier and more energetic than me. I just hoped they enjoyed my company as well.

I could not have gotten to know two better people. There was literally nothing bad I had to say about them. This was worrying me though. Nobody could be that perfect which made me scared of being let down soon by something. They would tell me it's all just a mistake, or that they don't actually like hanging out with me or something else and it would all be ruined. It was all just too good to be true. But I had decided that I was at least going to enjoy it for the time that it lasted.

I was not used to being happy about going to school. Now I finally had people in school that I was looking forward to meeting every day. At least I hope we would keep on hanging out. I had to stop with all these doubts, they are just bringing me down for no reason.

All of this was running through my mind as I walked but I always kept coming back to meeting Mitch tomorrow. Not to forget him touching my arm (as a goodbye I suppose) at the schoolyard. I could still feel tingling at the place his fingers had touched my skin, thinking about it. He was definitely something special.

"Mom, I'm home!" I had walked home in deep thoughts, not even remembering to think about the possibility that Mom would ask me a million questions. Hearing her excited voice I knew already that it was bound to happen.

"Hi honey, how was your date?"

"It wasn't a date! Mom we were three people at Starbucks!" I was getting defensive really fast, not even knowing exactly why.

"But you would go on dates with him? You've thought about it, right?"

Had I thought about it? It might have crossed my mind a few times, but who could blame me really, he seems like the perfect boyfriend. Mom didn't have to know this though, at least not yet.

"Mom! We're barely friends yet, I've only known him for like under a week." I was getting better at dodging questions. This is what socializing does to a person.

"Alright, alright I get it. But did you make any plans for the future?"

"Well... We're meeting up tomorrow to rehearse at his place." I couldn't help smiling as I told her. This was the first time I would visit someone that's not a family friend or relative in years. I could feel butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.

Mom kept asking questions about my afternoon and about Kirstie and Mitch in general. I could see how happy she was for me which made me doubt if she'd ever believed me when I'd kept her in the belief that I did have friends at school before meeting Mitch. But I felt like it was not yet time to correct this belief, true or not.

When Mom was finally done asking her questions and we'd eaten dinner, I made my way up to my room to do some school stuff. I hadn't done any singing at all today so homework was the least I could do to get even something important done today.

Even homework couldn't bring down my happy mood, and that's something.

After finishing my history essay I checked my phone to find a new message from Mitch.

To: Scottie [8:48 PM]

hi scottie i was thinking that we maybe could meet up sometime after noon so that we have enough time. is it okay if i pick you up @ one o'clock?