Chapter 9

Mitch's POV

Coffee. My knight in shining armor.

This was definitely going to be one of those coffee-filled days when you just need caffeine to keep going. Luckily I already had a coffee date planned in the afternoon with Scott and Kirstie. Loves it.

We had stopped by at one of our favorite coffee shops with Kirstie on our way to school. It was a cute and a bit over-priced place, but the coffee was amazing. It was super cozy and I was sad that we didn't have time to sit down by the small tables surrounded by comfortable sofas. We had found it in the beginning of our high school years and nowadays we were there so often that we recognized all of the people working here.

We arrived at school giggly and over-active from all the caffeine. At our second lesson the teacher was on the point of throwing us out of the class before the bell rang. It was just that Kirstie was in a very giggly mood which meant I was in a very giggly mood. On top of that it was Friday so it was hard to concentrate on anything.

In the past week I had learned a lot about how the school worked, who hanged out with who, who were the popular kids and who the sport jocks. Walking in the hallway I saw a group of guys with sporty jackets on, the football team. In the gang I could also see the rude dudes that had called me names a couple times this week. I'd heard worse and didn't care that much about their opinions, but it did sting a little bit every time it happened. It also brought up some unwanted memories that I'd rather keep buried.

Luckily the whole school wasn't like that. I'd met a nice guy, Marcus, a couple days ago at lunch. He had come to sit with us together with his girlfriend and they had both seemed really nice. They had chatted lightly with us and also told us more about the school as we'd asked. Apparently, American football was the thing here but weirdly cheerleading was not a big deal. Prom was the biggest party happening at the school and it was kept at winter to celebrate the ending of the year. I hadn't seen them at all after that, but I had been kind of occupied with Scott yesterday so it wasn't that weird.

I was laughing with Kirstie when we walked up to Scott. He seemed to be taking in our appearance and I could see his eyes staying on me a bit longer than necessary. A smirk appeared on my face as I understood that he was checking me out, but I quickly masked it when his eyes returned to our faces. He had started opening up yesterday at lunch and I didn't want to make him too uncomfortable by calling him out on small stuff.  

We exchanged hellos and then kept up a light and giggly conversation. He seemed to be a bit taken off guard noticing how hysteric we were.

I got an elbow to my side when declaring that I didn't know which class we'd been in. I was almost sure it was Physics but I couldn't say I knew for sure. I put on an overly offended expression but couldn't keep it up for long when Kirstie started giggling.

"Mitchyy you're silly, we were in Physics, how did you manage to miss it? We were surrounded by all kinds of lab stuff!" Kirstie was scolding me playfully and Scott was looking at us in thought, like he had just discovered something new about us. Probably that we were completely crazy.

"Well tbh it's not like you know what we talked about either since I was texting you the whole time." I teased her and then we just laughed for a while having a hard time calming down.

"Yeah we may have had a cup of coffee before school today since it was a late morning for both of us. Okay maybe two cups of coffee" Kirstie explained to a very confused Scott that just smiled at her explanation. I could feel tears in my eyes from laughing so much. This was lunch break exactly how I liked it. Scott seemed amused by our teasing, almost as if he was keeping back laughter since he wasn't sure how comfortable to be with us. He was good at hiding it but looking closely you could see the corners of his mouth twitching. And I was looking closely every opportunity I had.