Chapter 15

Mitch's POV

There's some verbal bullying and homophobia later in the chapter, a warning just in case it's triggering but I'll try to keep it as mild as possible through the whole story.

The thought of spending the night at Scott's place was amazing yet insanely nerve-wracking. Even if it was just in the innocent way. I had agreed to it immediately after Janice had said it, not even thinking what it would mean practically. But I still have a couple of days to worry about that so I pushed it to the back of my mind.

After dinner, Scott and I went back to his room. Soon we were both sitting on his bed again, but with the addition of a guitar I picked up from the corner of his room. I had always wanted to learn to play, an acoustic guitar and singing was one of my weak spots.

"Do you play?" I asked Scott who was looking at the guitar in my hands.

"Not that well, only simple chords for my singing. It's easy to bring with me wherever I go." Of course, he probably uses it when he gathers money. It was a weird thought to me though, I was still trying to get a grip on how hard it must be for him to have to worry about stuff like that. Money had always been self-evident to me and I was only now beginning to understand how different somebody's life could be depending on it. I had known but never completely understood it, since I had only been friends with very wealthy people until this year.

"I've always wanted to learn to play... Can you play something for me?" Wow that was cheesy. But I really did want to hear him play.

"Okay, I guess..." Scott took the guitar I was offering him and changed his position so that he was facing me on the bed. Only now I noticed how close we actually were sitting, our legs touching lightly. But he didn't move back so I guessed it was fine. I didn't want to make him uncomfortable, but I wanted to be as close to him as possible.

He started singing, playing the guitar strings softly which resulted in a very pleasant sound.

I recognized the song from hearing it in the radio. It was an amazing song, but somehow his voice brought it to a completely other level.

You lift my heart up when the rest of me is down
You, you enchant me even when you're not around
If there are boundaries, I will try to knock them down
I'm latching on, babe, now I know what I have found

I feel we're close enough
Could I lack in your love?
I feel we're close enough
Could I lack in your love?

Now I've got you in my space
I won't let go of you
Got you shackled in my embrace
I'm latching on to you

He played the final accord and then looked up at me for the first time after starting to sing. The enchantment of his singing broke when the last chord disappeared into the air and we were left with silence.

"Well Mr. 'Not that good' at playing the guitar, you are such a liar. That sounded absolutely amazing."

Scott blushed, but it wasn't embarrassment, it was the kind of blush when you're really thankful for a compliment and don't know how to react. I decided to help him out and just continue chatting about the guitar with him. At the same time I couldn't help but wonder why he'd chosen the song. Was it just something he'd picked out random or was he trying to express something. The song described pretty much my feelings about him, but I would never tell him that. I just hoped the song wasn't about another person. Or at least in that case I hoped it was about a boy so that I knew I even had a small chance. I wish I had the courage to just ask him about it. But it could go wrong in so many ways I was scared to even think about it.