Chapter 52

Mitch's POV

*Time skip to a few weeks later*

To: Scotty-boy [7:27 AM]

i won't be in school today i have fever, sorry boo

I sent the text message from my bed and as I was constructing it I fell into yet another coughing fit. I hated being sick. I could handle fever and a sore throat but the coughing that felt like my lungs were being torn apart was really not fun. And I hated not being with Scott too, especially since we'd only gotten back to being really together a month ago or so.

After quite a date-night, we'd somehow skipped the awkward aftermath and went straight to being completely and (as Vic put it) disgustingly in love. And I adored every second of it. Oh how I'd missed being kissed hello every morning and walking through the corridors of our school with Scott's hand tightly in mine.

My phone buzzed next to me and I picked it up, surprised that he was calling me. Texting was just as quick, and usually we stuck to that but I picked up the phone without further thought and answered with a hoarse "hello". I knew I was sick but still felt annoyed with how ill I sounded too. Could my voice try and not make me sound like a dying whale in front of my boyfriend?

"Okay that's it I'm coming over." Scott didn't bother with hellos but got straight to his point. He sounded like he had already made up his mind about coming over for some reason and I was utterly confused. He couldn't come over, he'd get sick too. I started to protest but a coughing fit interrupted my sentence. My throat was aching and I couldn't wait to go get some tea because this was going to be unbearable without something warm to soothe the pain. When the fit was over I started my protest again, knowing full well that it wasn't going to be nearly as effectual after that.

"No Scott, just listen to this coughing. You can't come, you'll get infected too." My resistance sounded tired and not really at all convincing.

"Of course I'm coming, the sound of that just ensured it. I won't leave you to take care of yourself alone. I'll be there in ten minutes." Here it was again, his well-known stubbornness. Honestly when you first looked at him you would never guess how freaking persistent he was, especially with things like this.

"Scott..." The worst thing was that despite knowing that he'd just get sick too, I wanted him to come over. I didn't want to be miserable and lonely at home when he'd so clearly offered to come over. But it'd be wrong to accept his offer. There was no way I would voluntarily let him get sick too but to be honest it didn't seem like he was giving me a choice.

"Be there in ten." He repeated and told me a quick goodbye before cutting the call short. I sighed in my bed, trying to lure myself to make it a frustrated one because of his stubbornness but ending up with a sappy little sigh of relief because he was coming. I was so in love with this sweet dork who was surely going to get sick after this. But I was definitely not letting him near me, there was no way I'd let him get ill because of me.

***

There was a knock on the door downstairs and I heard it open. I could soon hear subtle speaking downstairs but didn't have the energy to actually concentrate on what they were saying. It was probably just Scott talking to Mother. It was slightly pathetic, how happy I felt that I would see Scott today, but I let the thought go knowing that it was too late to make myself feel guilty about that anymore. Instead I turned to face the door and waited for my prince charming to get up here.

When the door finally opened it was indeed Scott coming in with what seemed to be breakfast. He smiled his signature smile at me and turned around to close the door. When that was done he finally opened his mouth.