Chapter 48

Mitch's POV

I woke up feeling well rested for the first time in weeks. I hadn't really been able to sleep after everything that had happened but now I finally felt like I was ready to face the day without constant tiredness. I was just about to reach over to grab my phone when I realized the reason to my extraordinary good sleep. Scott was sleeping next to me, and very close indeed. There was really not even an inch where my backside didn't touch his body. His arm was wrapped around my chest and his other hand worked perfectly as a pillow for me. I couldn't believe he'd actually come here last night. I had missed being in his arms and sleeping like this so much and it felt almost unbelievable to know that we had gotten to this point again. Even if it only was temporary. Now I didn't dare to move, not wanting to wake him up and go back to the wary and uncomfortable atmosphere. But I had obviously done something to alert him because I felt him move. His embrace around me tightened and I was slightly surprised because I would have expected him to want to get out of bed as soon as possible.

"Good morning." He said softly and I closed my eyes, contemplating on pretending to still be asleep so that we could stay like this longer. But he had already noticed that I was awake.

"Morning." I mumbled and buried my face into his bicep. Better enjoy this while I still could.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked and I could hear the familiar huskiness of his morning voice. I felt a wave of relief wash over me, he was making conversation which meant that he didn't seem to mind our sleeping arrangement as much as I'd thought he would. I was aware that it had been his choice to come here but he was really tired back then so I couldn't really count on that.

"Yeah, better than I have for weeks. You?" Honesty was the key, right? I was not going to make the same mistake twice, from now on there would be no lies.

"Same." He told me and I felt the well-known feeling of hope grow in my chest. Did this mean that he maybe didn't regret his sleep-deprived decision to sleep besides me? His next words surprised me even more though. "I've missed this."

"So have I." I admitted and the confusion must have been audible in my voice because he made me explain.

"What's with the tone of voice?" He turned to his back so that I could turn to face him. This was the closest I'd been to his face in a while and I almost had to take a sharp breath at how strikingly blue his eyes were, even in the darkness of the room.

"I'm confused. I thought you said you needed time and I-" I took a deep breath. "I just don't want to be hurting any more than I already am because of false hope okay?" The confession felt very hard to say but I felt better after it, knowing that I'd get to know what he meant with his behavior.

"I understand, I'll explain." His eyes met mine and he took a deep breath before continuing to speak. "So the thing is, I had a realization yesterday when Vic said you had been very sad these last few weeks. I've been miserable too, so I figured: what's the point? Why should I make us both be sad if I could just forgive one stupid mistake?" He placed his hand on my shoulder, his eyes filled with emotion. They told me things his words didn't, he still loved me. His eyes were filled with the same warmth and affection that they had held during our best times and I felt my heart skip a beat. Scott Hoying still loved me. "I'm working towards forgiving you completely and I really am almost there. I just need to be able to get back the trust you know, but I just can't stay away anymore."

My heart was beating and I felt the hope still just grow inside me. This might really be happening.

"But I'd still like to take it slow and, you know, don't rush things. What are your thoughts on this anyway, do you even want to give us a second chance?" He asked and I couldn't quite believe that he didn't know the answer to this already. Could he really not see how much I loved him? He must have noticed how my eyes still lingered too long on him, how I still sometimes wanted to reach out and run my fingers over his face until I remember that I can't do that anymore and how my hands subconsciously brush his. He must know all of this this. But maybe he just needed my approval to get braver himself.