Chapter 41

Scott's POV

The past few days had been worryingly calm. I waited for something to happen, some crazy note left on Mitch's doorstep or phone calls during the night but nothing did. At least not yet. I would never say it out loud, but I was scared of what was to come.

I was aware of the fact that Mitch thought I didn't believe Richard was dangerous. That I didn't take the danger seriously because I kept staying close to him and being near him wherever he went. He had told me about how Richard had threatened my safety last time and begged me to stay away from him. I refused, obviously.

I wasn't stupid, I knew very well what risk I was taking. But no one should be left to face a thing like this alone. Even if it hadn't been Mitch, a person I loved and cared for deeply, I would not have left their side. I wasn't trying to be a hero, I simply couldn't live with myself I knew I had left someone to face their problems completely alone. Especially if it was as serious as this. Mitch didn't seem to understand my point of view about this though. He constantly warned me to stay away and to not get involved. Time after time I refused to believe him. It would take a great deal to drive me away from him.

***

I reached to put my hand in his as we walked through the already empty schoolyard. School had just ended and Mitch and I were on our way to my place. I had finally persuaded him to come to my place, after a whole week of uncertainty and him driving me away. He still kept doing this, swatting my hand away as it came closer to his.

"Scott I can't, not before he's locked up again. He can be anywhere and I don't want to put you in danger, we've been through this."

"I'll be fine, Mitch, you don't have to worry." I said, trying to believe in the words myself. To be honest there was no guarantee that I would indeed be safe, but I was not leaving Mitch so I might just as well try and believe that I had nothing to fear.

"Scott..." He sighed, not annoyed but more so disappointed that I didn't understand. But I did understand, it was just easier that I didn't show it. I kept up a brave face for him and in a way I did believe that we would be just fine. The police would do their job and we'd be safe.

We were both in our own thoughts only disturbed by the coldness. An extra cold wind his us in the face and Mitch shivered.

"Here, take this." I offered him my jacket and actually got a cute little smile in return. Damn how I missed his smile. I was lucky to see it often but it still felt as rewarding as ever to see it. Such a little thing could already make my day better.

"You're sweet, but I'll be alright. We're so close, there's no point and you'll get cold too." He denied the offer but I was not about to let him freeze.

"Just take it, I don't want you to get sick." I insisted and he actually took it. I was both surprised and pleased with the small action.

"Thank you." He smiled up at me and I placed the jacket over his shoulders, taking my time to sneakily hug him at the same time.

"You're welcome." I whispered into his ear and placed a quick kiss on his cheek. He rolled his eyes and pushed me away.

"Stop it." He said but didn't actually sound that upset.

***

We walked the last bit in silence, both of us in a hurry to get inside as fast as possible. You could definitely feel the winter in the air, although it was supposed to start getting warmer again soon.

I took out the key and opened the door when we finally had arrived home. After taking off our shoes and jackets I was just turning around to hug Mitch when noticing that he was already in the living room.