Chapter 7

Mitch's POV

"Wow, that sounded better than I even could have imagined." His voice was incredible. I was too blown away to say anything else, but the happiness and the rush from singing was so overwhelming that I couldn't stop a giggle. Making everything even better, Scott joined the laughter. He was smiling with his mouth open for the first time near me. This was the best moment by far this week.

Scott seemed to be relaxing a bit as we continued rehearsing. He started laughing more and telling more about himself when I asked. I got to know more about his music taste and small bits of other stuff as well. We mostly sang and chatted with light and easy subjects.

I was amazed every time he started singing and I had a hard time dealing with the way we sounded together. It was amazing, the rush, the sound and Scott just overall. But I was careful on not letting too much of my amazement show, since I didn't know much about him after all. I needed more information before I would start getting really comfortable around him. And it seemed as if he felt the same way. He kept dodging the more serious questions, so I stopped pressuring him and just held the conversation light.

"So, I guess we're ready?" he was looking at me, not yet completely in the eyes, but we were getting there. He kept forming statements as questions, but I was just happy that he had started talking more and also a little bit more freely than in the beginning. One music lesson with me can do wonders to people.

"Yes, let's go back and slay the scene!" I wasn't sure if he was familiar with the slang but after noticing a suppressed giggle I smiled. This literally couldn't get any better. He was fucking amazing.

The walk back to the classroom was a bit awkward. Scott got a bit tense after we exited the room and went back to answering with a single word as I asked questions. It was okay though, I was happy that he'd opened up a little while rehearsing. Maybe he was nervous because of the performance, who knows? I could feel nervousness creeping on me as well, when I realized that if I would screw this up the word would be out immediately. I had already noticed how quickly rumors spread in this school. About me in particular.

We entered the music class a little bit late, everyone else was already there. Apparently, we'd sing last as we had arrived last. Scott went to sit on his chair in the corner and after thinking about it for a moment, I decided to sit down by the desk beside him. He looked at me for a moment, asking a silent question, clearly surprised by my actions. I winked my eye at him and smiled in return which resulted in him quickly turning away his head. Luckily I caught the small smile playing on his lips before he turned his head. I would not have wanted to miss it.

Everyone in this class was actually decent at singing, which was weird. Music wasn't a popular subject though so I think everyone who chose this was interested in it. Soon everyone else had performed and it was our turn.

"And lastly Scott and Mitch will perform... Which song did you choose boys?" Ms. Jones seemed excited to hear us sing, she had after all only heard us sing separately.

"We'll sing "Drunk in Love" by Beyoncé." Scott answered excitedly before me. He was already on his way toward the piano. I stood up quickly and walked to the piano as well. I could hear the rest of the class discussing our song-choice. I heard the word "gay" more than once.

"Okay, start whenever you're ready!" After she'd wished us luck the class got silent.

I took a chair for myself and sat down by the piano beside Scott. Even though I didn't play in this song we'd decided that we'd hear each other better if we sat together. It also looked more organized than if one of us would be standing. I did absolutely not mind sitting beside him.

Scott began playing and it sounded as amazing as it had the first time. He started singing and after that I completely forgot the other people in the room. I hummed a tune just over the melody as we got nearer to the first chorus. Looking at Scott, everything was good. He didn't even notice my stare, so focused on the music, but I found out how much I liked watching him. He was nice to look at any time, but at that moment I knew I wanted to get to know him, more sure than ever before. We sang the chorus in perfect harmony and then got to my verse. Everything went just as we'd planned and rehearsed.