Chapter 40

Mitch's POV

"He got out. We have no idea how he did it but he's not in his cell anymore. I'm so sorry Mitch, walls just don't seem to stop him at this point." All I could think of was that I should have known. I had trusted this feeling of safety and look where that had gotten me. Now it was all ruined, again.

My nightmare had become reality in just a few seconds and I couldn't handle it by myself. Right now I just needed to let this sink in and not worry about the details. I needed Scott to help me, so I turned to look at him, knowing he could see my shocked and scared expression. I gave him the phone without a word.

"What's going on? Mitch?" He sounded confused and a bit afraid as well, looking at the clear tears silently running down my face. I just nodded for him to take the phone and sat down next to him on the bed, burying my face into his bare shoulder while he spoke with the police. My salty tears of fear and anger about the whole situation wet down his skin and made it shine in the colours of the rainbow in the morning sun. A sight that would have been very pretty, had it not been for the circumstances.

There went that perfect morning.

***

Scott tried his very best to comfort me and it did feel better to lay in his embrace than to face this all alone. Mr. Chapman had promised to send someone over to make sure I was safe, but it wasn't like I could walk around with a bodyguard. And I feared more for Scott than I did for myself, however crazy that was. Rick had already warned me about getting close to Scott and here I was, having spent the night with him and being very much in love with the dork. I shouldn't have let myself think this would be okay. I just didn't know how to break it down to Scott that we couldn't be seen together. And to be frank I didn't know if my own heart could handle the pain it would cause the both of us.

"Shh, babe don't cry you'll be okay." He whispered into my hair while holding me closer to him as I started sobbing again at the thought of having to stay away from him.

"No but don't you understand? I can't let you be in danger, and that's exactly what'll happen if you stay with me." I said between the quick breaths.

"Nothing will happen to me, I'll be here for you Mitch. No matter what." Even though I knew I shouldn't, I let his words calm me down and lull me into a feeling of safety. I was on the edge of falling asleep again, tired from the emotional ups and downs when there was a knock on the door.

"How are you two lovebirds? Did you have a fun night?" Vic walked in without waiting for us to give her permission and probably first thought we were cuddling. She quickly spotted the dried tears on my face though. "What's wrong? Has something happened?" She went from playful to worried in a second and looked at Scott for and explanation.

"Yeah, something happened." He answered and turned my face to look at him. "Can I tell her?" I nodded, Vic was someone I always could trust and count on, even though I hated letting her worry about me.

Scott explained the situation quickly and Vic was by my side before he even got to the end. She started stroking my hair like she'd always done when I was feeling sad. It didn't make the situation any different, but it did make me feel a little bit better. Being in the arms of two of my favourite people made the emotional trauma from the time with Rick feel less painful. At least I had people that loved me now. Nobody called me worthless and I was taken care of. Maybe Scott even was right, maybe it would all be okay.

"Oh Mitchy, I'm so sorry. We'll get him back into prison. He will not be able to hurt you anymore." She said and kissed my cheek. "Mother and Father should know though, can I go and tell them? You won't have to do it yourself, I promise."

"Yeah, please do." I said hoarsely, and she rubbed my back quickly before leaving the room. I was thankful for everything she did for me but I felt weak. I was her big brother, it was I who was supposed to always protect and comfort her, yet too many times it had been the other way around. I hated being weak. Therefore I would have to get a grip and draw myself up. It couldn't continue like this. I needed to be strong and not make everyone worry too much.

They worried enough as it was.

***

"Scott I can't handle it if anything happens to you." I argued for the millionth time after he'd reached to hold my hand in the corridor. It was all we had talked about in the last few days. I forbid him of coming close to me but couldn't resist him when he did.

"Nothing will happen, I refuse to leave you alone. I'll protect you." He insisted, caressing my arms softly. He always thought about everything so romantically. It was one of the elements I loved most about him but in this situation, it didn't make this easier on me. He desperately wanted to be my knight in shining armour, but I couldn't be his damsel in distress.

"But-"

"No. I won't listen to any of that. I love you, and Richard can't take that away from us. I'll be here, always." He drew me into his arms even though we were at school. Anyone could see us here, it was too much of a risk to be this close to him. But he didn't see it as I did. He didn't know how dangerous Rick was. Rick would hurt him if he saw us like this. God damn it I had been in therapy for months after my 'experience' with him. And he had a past of being physically violent, as I well knew. Somehow I needed to get Scott to understand that nothing could happen to him. He was too good, he had too much to give to this world.

I knew that he loved me. He loved me enough to constantly put me and my safety before himself. I need to get him away from me, even if it hurts me more than anything. I can't let him get hurt, he needs to be okay. Whatever it takes.

A/N

experiencing writer's block for the first time and it's awful. but i got this done for you even if it's short and sad, better than nothing? (also maybe thing of this as a part one, the next will be from Scott's pov and has v much things to do with this chapter)

i have a test-week ahead of me (so basically a test in every subject i've read so far this year) so updating might take a while. sorryyyyyy but i'll try to write a little bit ahead to be able to update before leaving for Barcelona in 3 weeks.

xx N

p.s. ilyilyilyily