Chapter 42

Mitch's POV

I slammed the door shut and ran towards the school with tears streaming down my face. I might have just ruined everything. I had no idea how I would be able to live with that thought but right now keeping him safe was the number one priority.

My phone buzzed in my pocket again, making me jump of fright. But it reminded me of what I was to do next. Now that I had the Scott –situation done with I needed to shut out all the feelings it had caused me and focus on the task ahead of me. I really had to sort out this mess once and for all. Rick couldn't keep holding me down and I could only really solve it through open conversation. But that would probably be a pretty stupid move, wouldn't it?

Even the thought scared me, but I really felt like that could be the solution. Apart from that I had to admit that there was a crazy sort of curiosity in the pit of my stomach. Why was he so invested? And what the hell did he really want with me now? He'd had his fun already, after all.

I shook my head as I walked to the school where my car was, the tears having dried onto my face and my nose running. I took out the phone numbly, having found the kind of emotionless state I'd been going for. There was two new messages from the same unknown number as before and for a passing moment I wished that it really had just been an unknown person. Sadly, I wasn't that naïve anymore. Not after everything I'd been through.

One text had arrived while I had still been at Scott's place but I hadn't had time to read it yet. The memory of Scott's heartbroken face and teary eyes almost sent me into another breakdown but the message gave me a distraction, even if it was the opposite of a pleasant one, it was better than nothing.

To: Mitchell [5:01 PM]

Come to the usual place. You know where I am. -R

To: Mitchell [5:05 PM]

I know where you are btw, so don't try any funny business with that blonde just please come here right now. -R

Weirdly enough he made himself seem almost vulnerable with that 'please' in the middle of a threat. I really do wonder what he wants from me. But then again I shouldn't go, what I should do is call the police and do the only reasonable thing, stay out of it.

While I thought about what I could do, I arrived to my car and sat down to try and collect my thoughts. So I could 1) call the police, which was obviously the smarter thing to do. I had no reason to get involved anymore, this had gotten to the point where it's way past me. Or then I could 2) see what he has to say. He seemed pretty harmless in that text, well, meaning less harm than usual at least. I was curious, as awful as it was to say. I knew he was manipulative but what if this time was different?

He was manipulating me again, it wouldn't be different. He would be just as cruel as before. My curiosity would have to wait and I should let the cops handle this. Scott would want that too, even if he probably hates me now. I'm just an awful human aren't I, not even managing to stay away from hurting the person I love the most in this world. The tears were back in my eyes and I needed to take a few very deep breaths to stop my hands from trembling.

Once my hands were as steady as they could get, I took out my phone again, ready to make the call. Right in that moment it buzzed in my hand again. I opened the message, wary of what he wanted now.

To: Mitchell [5:13 PM]

I bet you're thinking about calling the police but I swear I really just want to talk. If you ever cared even a little bit PLEASE come here. –R

Fuck it, it's not like I'm miserable already. What's the worst thing that could happen if I went? I don't know what part of that message made me change my mind, but here I was, putting down my phone and starting the car. Surely he wouldn't go through this much trouble to make me go there voluntarily if it was just to hurt me more. It seemed like I was going to find out though.