Chapter 47

Scott's POV

*A few weeks later*

Easter came early this year and although I wasn't that religious, it still meant that we had time off from school and got lots of chocolate. Mom and I had our traditions regarding Easter and I had been waiting for the opportunity to spend a little bit of time together with her without work or school coming in the way. That was until a few weeks before the vacation, she'd explained to me that we couldn't do that this year. First I had been a bit upset to be honest, but it turned around into happiness for her. Her boyfriend had organized a holiday for just the two of them in some spa. I was first supposed to go visit grandma while they were there, but apparently everyone wanted a busy Easter. My grandparents were travelling too, so Mom asked if I could stay by a friend.

My first thought had been Mitch, but that idea was quickly thrown aside because I didn't think I would be able to handle it quite yet. Even if our relationship had definitely gotten better, it wasn't that good. I was starting to miss him though, more than I cared to admit. And I knew he missed me too, it was obvious every time I saw him at school. There was still something that was keeping me from calling him and officially forgiving him but I knew we weren't far from that. I just had so many mixed feelings about the whole ordeal that I didn't trust myself to talk to him seriously yet.

That left me with Kirstin. We'd gotten closer over the last few weeks, and I really enjoyed her company. Talking with her had also introduced me a whole other aspect of "girl talk", plus I got to know how Mitch was doing. I knew she also told Mitch how I was doing and I did feel a bit bad to have her be between us but she seemed to be alright with it. I secretly suspected that she had some plan to get us back together by slowly forcing us to spend more and more time together, but it was only a theory.

Everything about the weekend was thankfully all settled, I was spending this Easter with Kirstie and her family.

"Are you ready to go?" Mom asked me and I nodded, putting on my shoes and my jacket. Mom looked more excited than I'd seen her in a while and I was so happy that she'd found someone she loved and who loved her in return. I kissed her cheek quickly before we both stepped out of the door to see two cars waiting for us.

"Have fun!" We said in unison and laughed, hugging each other goodbye one last time. Her boyfriend got out of the car to help her with her bag and I raised a hand to him, getting a wave from him in return. He was a nice guy, I was happy for them.

I walked to Kirstie's car and got in, hugging her over the glove compartment.

"Hello Scotty." She said and I could instantly tell there was something off with her. She sounded a bit guilty and worried but I couldn't properly grasp what it was.

"Kirstie what's up?" She turned to look at me and took a deep breath.

"You know how I told you I had talked to Mom about you coming over and she was totally fine with it and all, the information just hadn't gone all the way to Dad and so he booked us a small holiday over the weekend... We're going on a short trip to our cottage a few hours away."

"And I can't come?" I guessed, not even quite registering what she was saying. Where was I going to go to if she wouldn't be at home?

"It's a few hours away, with the airplane... I'm so sorry Scott I thought this would be just perfect but I can't really just stay behind." She looked so apologetic and sad that I wanted to just hug her. It's not like it was her fault. "I talked to Mitch though, and he said you're welcome to stay with them for the three days we're away." Was she serious about this? It seemed like that, she waited expectantly for my reaction. I didn't know even what it was outwards, all I knew was that I had very mixed feeling about this.