Chapter 44

Mitch's POV

tw: death (don't panic), mention of panic attacks and suicide.

"Just know that it doesn't mean anything to me. But if that's all you ask then okay. One last kiss." I was not about to let him kill himself, like he had just claimed he would, but if I didn't agree to this then he might really not be this friendly anymore. He really just needed to get some help, preferably somewhere far away from here in a hospital.

He nodded frantically and a glint of the warmness I remembered from the beginning of our relationship appeared in his eyes.

When I saw the look in his eyes I realized that I was technically cheating on Scott by kissing him. Fuck. I didn't want to cheat but honestly what other choice did I have? Maybe Scott would understand. Maybe we still had a chance to work this out afterwards, I really hoped so. I would tell him everything right after I could figure out how to alert the police and get out of here. Being honest was definitely the best way to handle this, I just hoped he would understand. Still I repeated the words once more, both for myself and to let Rick know that he didn't have any chance with me, ever, even if I did feel a bit sorry for him. He could have his 'last wish' but it would be plain and simple, I was not going to start a make out session or anything.

"It doesn't mean anything." I then took one last step towards him and pressed my lips to his firmly. This would be over soon, I repeated in my head and felt his lips start to move against mine. They were cold and a lot harsher than Scott's. Gosh how I wished it was Scott right here. I would never have thought that I would find myself in a situation where I was kissing Rick again. His hand found its way to my cheek and I decided this was more than enough. I was just about to end the kiss when I heard the voice behind me.

"Mitch?" I broke the kiss in the blink of a second and turned around to see the most heartbroken face I'd ever seen. Scott looked as if his whole world had fallen apart in that moment and I winced, realizing how horrible this whole situation had become. His face had fallen completely, ten times worse than earlier today and already that had been awful.

I had caused this, it was all my fault. I was such an awful human being, he didn't deserve to be hurt like this. Realizing how much he was hurting was the worst thing I'd ever felt. Even before he started speaking, just seeing the pain in Scott's eyes and behaviour brought me to the edge of sobbing.

I had never seen him so angry.

***

The police kept asking questions and I was not up for this right now. I was still teary eyed, one hour later, and unable to get the last look I'd gotten of Scott out of my mind. Kirstie sat next to me, and I really appreciated her help but I couldn't help that the only thing I could think of was Scott.

Rick had been taken away and the police promised they would take care of him, especially after he had a short yelling fit, begging the police to kill him. It had freaked me out, and resulted in me getting another panic attack since I was already overly sensitive about everything going on after the events I'd abeen through today. I was taken a bit further away from the mass of people together with Kirstie and now she was holding me as I still shivered from tiredness and an overflow of emotions. My parents had been alerted and soon I would be able to go home.

As I looked around I saw that once again there was someone trying to come and get more information from me. But I felt like I would break down completely if anyone made me talk about today again, I just needed some quiet alone-time.

"Please make them go away, I just can't do this right now." I whispered to Kirstie and she shot me and understanding look. She asked the nearest public authority about something and he turned away the person who had tried to come near us. She then motioned for me to get up and I did, following her to her car.