Chapter 35

Scott's POV

TW: abuse in a relationship (i hate it as much as y'all do)

The night sky was full of colors. Fireworks lit up the night, filling every place of darkness with bright colors of celebration. But even the prettiness of the night didn't clear away the worry I held inside me for the sleeping boy in the backseat.

When I'd gotten his call I was already worried because of Kirstie's texts. So when I got to know that he wasn't completely alright during that phone call, I felt more worried than I had ever felt for someone. The speedometer had immediately jumped a few notches upwards as I had pressed the gas pedal in hurry to get to my love.

So when I had found him with tear streaks on his cheeks and running into my arms, I was ready to take down anything and anyone that had hurt him.

I hoped I had done okay with helping him in any way I could, he at least seemed to calm down more when he got into my arms. I was just still really worried and didn't actually want to leave him 'alone' at home, obviously his parents were home but I didn't know how much to tell them when I didn't know much myself either.

So I just drove around for a while, taking in the small town from behind the steering wheel. I had gotten a driver's license immediately when I could but never had the money to actually get a car. So I'd gotten Mom's boyfriend, James, to drive me to the Grassi's. My original plan had been to just surprise Mitch and give him the New Year's kiss he deserved. But the plans had changed very quickly when I got the call form him.

After an hour of mindless driving on the city streets, I finally set the Grassi's house as my destination. They were probably waiting for us to get home anyway, I had obviously called them to say I was borrowing the car for the night.

Mitch was still asleep and unknowing of anything that happened around him but I was just happy that he got some rest. Because as long as I had put the pieces together right, he had had some kind of panic attack back there. I would have to wait until tomorrow, wait no just until today morning, until I got to know the whole story. I just hoped that wouldn't make him relive the trauma in a too painful way.

At half past one I drove into Mitch's parking spot. There weren't that many lights on inside, so a part of the family had at least gone to bed already. I got out of the car and made my way to the back seat's door, opening it and taking in the boy curled up into a ball. He looked so small and innocent, like he was still a child that needed protection from the big world around him. I sighed, unhappy with the way his lips were turned into a frown in his sleep.

It only took me moment to come to the realization that I would definitely carry Mitch to his bed. There was no way that I'd wake him up and make him walk by himself. And he was light as a feather anyway. Before I lifted him into my arms I fished up the keys to the house from his bag, threw the bag around my shoulder and got ready to get the most precious thing.

I carefully coaxed my arms around Mitch's small body, not wanting to disturb his sleep. And somehow I managed keep him asleep, picking him up in my arms bridal style. I then closed the car door with my hips before walking up to the door. I stepped close to it so that my hands would be close enough to open it although Mitch was in my arms. And I did manage to get inside successfully after a bit of fumbling with the lock.

The house was silent but a light had been left on in the hallway, probably to welcome Mitch home. And it did help that I didn't have to search for anything in darkness.

I walked straight up the stairs as soon as I had gotten the shoes off of my feet. Since Mitch's room was the first one to the left, I was there in no time. I had been really quiet, until I accidentally knocked over a pile of books while making my way towards Mitch's bed and stopped to listen if anyone had woken up. When I didn't hear anything for a minute, I sighed in relief and placed Mitch down on his soft queen sized bed.