Chapter 29

Scott's POV

I had finally wrapped my mind around all of this. Mitch and I. We fitted together so well and everything felt perfect with him. Now I just wanted to get official and start telling people. But that required something to be done that I was both nervous and excited about. Asking him to be my boyfriend, officially.

I had already fixed some things for that. First of all we would meet up today after school, which is pretty much now. This morning I'd also been told that we had the house to ourselves, Mom was meeting a friend this evening and wasn't going to be back until late in the evening. The timing couldn't have been better.

"You seem lost in thought, aren't we supposed to leave?" Mitch was leaning against the locker next to mine, looking at me slowly closing my own.

"Yeah sorry I was just thinking." We started moving out of the building side by side, our hands brushing against each other occasionally since the corridors were empty.

"Are we going by foot or with the car?" Mitch asked as we exited the school.

"By foot? I need some exercise every now and then you know."

"Fine, as long as we don't have to do any other sports." I laughed at the disgust on his face at the thought of having to get sweaty.

"Are you sure you don't want to go throw around a volleyball or something?" I joked but he still looked horrified before a smirk took over his expression.

"Scott, the only sport I'm up for is naked wrestling."

"Oh." I thought about it for a moment. I wouldn't mind to be honest, but I don't think our relationship is quite on that level yet. But he was fun to tease so I answered: "We'll see what I can do about that."

Mitch looked at me from under his eyebrows, trying to figure out if I was serious or not. When I cracked up laughing he joined me but only after a second of something else, maybe even disappointment.

***

We sat around the dining table, eating dinner together after a whole afternoon of us rehearsing and me being nervous about the evening. For some reason it felt more romantic in the evening. And although he was with me the whole time I managed to get nervous about a simple question.

The fact that it felt a little bit awkward right now around us didn't help with the nervousness. We were jumping back and forth between acting like a couple and acting like friends. Like at some point it felt so natural to kiss his cheek when getting the food and sometimes it was weird to even hold his hand. What did calm my nerves was that this was all very new and would probably be cleared up after tonight.

"What are you doing this Christmas? Mother asked me to invite you over for dinner, do you want to come?" Mitch brought up the topic out of nowhere when we had finished with the eating.

"I would love to come but I can't just leave Mom alone at home on Christmas..." That would be unacceptable and I would feel so guilty about it that I would be no fun to be around.

"She can come too! I'm sure my parents won't mind." Mitch smiled at me hopefully and I saw no reason to decline the invitation.

"That would be amazing, let me just ask her and I'll tell you tomorrow at school."

"Okay good." The conversation kind of died out and left us in a semi-awkward silence.

"Uh... Help me with the dishes?" I said, more to break the silence than any other reason, it was weird that we were this awkward right now, felt like we were back to when we first met. But I knew this was just some passing stage, as long as he would say yes later.