Chapter 8

Scott's POV

You could only imagine my shock when Mitch kept talking to me after music. No one did that. That's just how it was. I had been paired up with other students before, but we had never talked about anything else than school. But here he was, the most popular boy in school, asking if I would like to sit with him and Kirstie for lunch. I searched his face for signs of sarcasm or something else to make sure he was serious. Apparently he was, since I found nothing else than seriousness and cheekiness in his expression. What I did find while staring at him was how perfect his face was. The smirk, the cheekbones, the eyebrows. How could a man be that sexy, handsome and feminine at the same time?

Uh oh I got distracted again. Snapping back to reality I could hear Mitch answering my question.

"Of course I'm sure! We're going to be a couple for the whole year." I know he didn't mean it the romantic way but it didn't stop the blush spreading on my face. Not that I did not like the idea, I think I just liked it too much.

Mitch seemed to have realized what he had said when seeing me blush. He started awkwardly explaining something about that he only meant couple as in music class pairs. This was the most uncomfortable I'd ever seen him but it was kind of funny to watch. He changed the subject very quickly after that.

We talked about hobbies on the way to the cafeteria. The moment I heard he played the piano I was tempted to hear him play. And luckily for me it seemed very likely since were going to spend lots of time together in music class this year.

"Sports just aren't really my thing." He was obviously waiting to get a shocked reaction after he said this. It's like he thinks I'm a sport freak or something. I think not.

"Yeah, I don't really do sports either, like you said, not really my thing." He stared at me a while after I said this. Even if I knew he hadn't expected the answer I gave him I had though that he would say something and not just stare at me. Feeling another blush creeping up on me under his stare I turned my face away and awkwardly looked at the lockers to my left. The awkward atmosphere didn't last long as we were interrupted by a broad guy in a sport jacket walking by us in the hallway.

"Watch where you're going faggot!" It was obviously meant for Mitch, who he'd bumped into, but it seemed like I got more upset about the comment than him. What only made things worse was the laughter from the guys around him. Even high-fives were shared. I was just about to say something very rude to the guy when noticing Mitch walking straight ahead of him without a single comment about the encounter. I don't know what I would have said to the homophobic idiot that looked at me expectantly, but my braveness had walked away together with Mitch. That left me speechless in front of a gang of sporty and broad guys.

I jogged up to Mitch and left the boys laughing in the hallway. Jerks. Maybe I would have the courage to defend him next time if this would happen again. I really hoped it wouldn't though.

"They're idiots, it's just easier to block it out and move on. I don't take it personally." Mitch was calming me down a bit even though it should have been the other way around. The saddest part was how Mitch took it like it happened every day. Like a fact that he just would have to deal with because of his sexuality that he hadn't even confirmed. It was not right and definitely not fair.

"Yeah okay, I'm sorry I freaked out, it's just that I have strong opinions on the subject." He turned his head a bit to his left side looking at me curiously, waiting for me to explain. When I didn't, he just let it be without questioning me.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, but it was more comfortable than before. We were both in deep thought after the scene in the hallway. Even though there was lots of more important things to think about I couldn't help wondering if he really was gay or not. He had not made a single comment about it which could mean many different things. Personally I did think he was gay, there were so many hints, but since I didn't know for sure I tried my best not to make any assumptions.