CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

THE HOMECOMING
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE HOMECOMING ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

284 AC, Winterfell

It was a strange feeling looking upon the Great Halls of Winterfell again. She had truly missed it.

For even if Alyssa was content in her life in the South she would always belong in the North. She was a Stark of Winterfell, a wolf that thrived in the snowy woods, not the sunny courts.

"It feels strange being home," Ned admitted, sitting upon his own steed next to her, looking upon the great castle that was their childhood home. "Different."

"Neither one of us are the same person we were when we left," Alyssa stated, "I don't think it's the castle that has changed."

"Probably not," Ned nodded, looking around the northern landscape. Most of the snow had melted away, leaving only small areas covered in the cold snow.

"Summer is here," Alyssa noted, "Winter is finally over. Not that we noticed it much in King's Landing. I remember when I was on bed rest with — with Daeryn, and it snowed for a few days. The entire keep went into a frenzy and half a fortnight later it was all gone. They called it winter, but one could walk around outside with out a cloak or furs without freezing."

"They don't experience winters the same way in the South. Their winters are much like our summers," Ned said with a grim smile, "That is why southerners don't belong in the North. They aren't born for it."

"Catelyn will be fine, Ned," Alyssa tried to calm her worrying brother, knowing that he had been fretting over seeing her for quite some time. As opposed to Brandon, Ned had never been outspoken or a charmer. He was quiet and kind, and right now very worried about the prospect of meeting his wife.

Catelyn and him had barely spoken when she was betrothed to Brandon and from what Alyssa had been told they hadn't really interacted much during the wedding. But they had done their duty and that had resulted in a son. Robb was his name and Alyssa couldn't wait to meet her first nephew, hoping that he could be like a brother to Jon.

And it was Jon that was one of the reasons behind Ned's worries, and Alyssa's too. Because both of them dreaded Catelyn's reaction to seeing her new husband's bastard. It was going to be a tense reunion.

"She was one of your ladies," Ned started, "How — was she in love with Brandon? How will she react to all that has happened? What if-"

"Ned, you need to calm down," Alyssa told him, "Catelyn didn't even know Brandon. They spent so little time together that she would have been a fool to love him already. She might have loved the idea of him, but she can't have loved him."