CHAPTER NINETY-SIX

THE GREAT WAR BEGINS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE GREAT WAR BEGINS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

304 AC, Castle Black

The hours before a battle were always the worse.

Especially when you were on the defence because it didn't give you much control. When they had attacked King's Landing, they had been in charge of when and how. Now all they could do was wait for the enemy to reach them.

"Do you have to be on the front lines?" Rhaegar asked for the millionth time. He himself would he on top of Alysion for the beginning of the battle, pretty much out of danger, while Alyssa had insisted to be on the ground at possibly the most dangerous place.

"Aye, I have to," Alyssa told him, walking over to assist him in putting on his armour. She was already done for battle, since Bran had told them the Night King was near.

"Why-"

"Because we can't expect our men to sacrifice their own lives on the front lines if we are not willing to do the same," Alyssa reasoned. "That is how I was raised - it is the northern way."

"I know," Rhaegar muttered, kissing her forehead when she continued to adjust his armour. "I just wished you didn't have to put yourself in danger - or anyone else for that matter."

"Me too," Alyssa finished and kissed his cheek. "But I will do all in my power to survive, just like I have done since I was born. And I know you and everyone else will do the same."

"I don't know what I would do if I lost you again-"

"You would mourn and then you would move on," Alyssa told him, placing her hands on his cheeks. "Because that is all you can do when someone you love die. You will be strong and carry on for our children - just like I will try to do if you die."

She finally kissed him properly and after a few seconds they pulled apart. Rhaegar placed his forehead against hers. "You are the love of my life."

"I know," Alyssa joked. "And you are the love of my very unusual life." Then she wrapped her arms around his neck to hug him tightly. "This won't be the end of our story. We have spent more time apart than together - and I intend to change that before I die."

A knock on the door interrupted their moment and after having been cleared to enter Arthur opened the door. "It's time," he told them, face grave.

"We will be out in a moment," Alyssa told him and Arthur left, leaving the door open. She turned back to Rhaegar and kissed him one last time. "For good luck."

She was turned around and barely got one step when Rhaegar grabbed her arm and spun her around, crashing his lips passionately against hers. Just when she was about to respond he pulled back slightly and whispered, "Will you marry me?"