CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

THE KINGSROAD
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE KINGSROAD✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

298 AC, Winterfell

A somber mood had settled over Winterfell since the news of Bran's accident reached them. He had been found at the bottom of the Broken Tower, his still unnamed direwolf protecting his unconscious body.

At first his condition had been critical but now Maester Luwin had told them Bran had passed the dangerous phase. However, he still needed to wake up, something he hadn't done yet.

Ned, Sansa, Arya and Bran as well as Alyssa and her sons were set to ride for the Capital in only a few days after the accident, but after what happened the King had postponed it. At least for an additional few days.

Catelyn had yet to leave Bran's bedside, watching over him day and night, and Alyssa could not blame her, knowing that she would have been equally distraught in her situation. And to distract herself from the saddens she was feeling she had taken over Catelyn's duties completely.

And at the same time she tried to spend as much time as possible with Joanna, Lucelia, Jon and also Robb, Theon and Rickon, seeing as they would be left behind once they rode south.

But at the moment she found herself in the Godswood. With the royal party in Winterfell the entire Keep was bustling in a way that gave her a headache and this was the only place she could get some piece and quiet.

Her back was leaned against the tree trunk and one leg was stretched out before her while the other one was bent by the knee. She absentmindedly played with her emerald necklace. The last time she had been seated her before leaving King's Landing she had been a young girl about to marry the Prince. Now she was woman who chose to leave in order to protect those she loved.

She was completely alone, even Kēlio had been left inside the Keep which was why her head snapped up and she became alert at the sound of a branch cracking. She reached for the dagger strapped against her waist only to relax when she saw who it was.

"Now I understand why you say the Godswood in King's Landing and the Stone Garden is nothing compared to this one," Jaime said, looking at the Heart Tree with concealed awe.

"Nothing could ever compare to this," Alyssa admitted, leaning her head against the trunk to look up at the blood red leaves.

"And I knew this would be exactly where I'd find you," Jaime walked closer to her, "You have never liked it when it's too crowded."

"You know me so well," Alyssa smiled, patting the ground next to her, "Sit with me."

"Can I? Am not breaking some ancient law?" Jaime asked, only half-joking, his eyes stopping at the face carved into the Weirwood tree.