CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

THE CONFRONTATION
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE CONFRONTATION ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

301 AC, Riverun

"Let's talk," Alyssa said calmly, glad that the children were gone because this wasn't a conversation she wanted to have in front of them. "I don't know what you expected when you came back here - but if it was me welcoming you back with open arms, you are sadly mistaken. Both of you are because I don't owe you anything."

"Alyssa, I'm not expecting anything from you," Rhaegar told her.

"Aye, you clearly are," Alyssa exclaimed, "You are expecting me to become your Queen. You have been gone for eighteen years and you are expecting me to just drop everything and stand beside you as you take the Iron Throne. You are all expecting me to just accept that you returned from the dead."

"Alyssa-"

"I mourned you! All of you!" Alyssa stood up and started to pace the room, "Well, maybe not you, Red. But I knew you were alive."

"Thanks," Jon muttered.

"None of you have any right to come back and demand anything from me," Alyssa continued, "Especially not you two," she pointed between Rhaegar and Lyanna. "Not after everything you've done. Not after you got my father and brother killed-"

"That wasn't my fault," Lyanna yelled defensively, "I didn't know Brandon would come after me-"

Alyssa let out a humourless laugh, "He didn't come after you. He rode south for me," she told her little sister and while her words may be cruel Alyssa needed to get them out before she exploded, "Brandon knew that you ran away willingly, Lyanna, and he came to King's Landing because he knew how much what you did would harm me-"

"Then it's your fault," Lyanna screamed, tears in her eyes, "You could have stopped him, you could have saved them-"

A loud bang echoed across the room when Alyssa banged her fist to the table. It took every self-control she had not to flip over the table. Her teeth were so tightly gritted together that she wouldn't be surprised if they turned to dust in her mouth.

"After everything you have done you dare to accuse me of not saving my brother and father?" Alyssa said, her voice barely above a whisper, "By the time I knew that you two had run away together Brandon was already locked up in the Black Cells. And even then I tried to save him. I begged Aerys to let him go, I tried to find away to get him out of the Red Keep but there wasn't any. Even during the trial I cried, and I pleaded, and I begged for Aerys to show them mercy. I did everything I could and that wasn't enough - that I can take the blame for. But don't even for a moment try to lay the blame for causing all of this on anyone other than yourself, Lyanna."