CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

THE TOURNEY OF THE HAND
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE TOURNEY OF THE HAND✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

298 AC, King's Landing

"Are you telling me that Robert wanted to joust and you stopped him?" Alyssa asked in disbelief as Ned joined them in the stands the last day of the tourney, "Do you wish to take away my only source of amusement in this godforsaken tourney?"

"If Robert compete he will die," Ned pointed out, "It's the Hand's duty to protect the King. Even from his own foolishness."

"I still would have liked to see it," Alyssa muttered before changing the subject, "What will happen to Ser Hugh's remains?" she whispered so none of the children could overhear.

"The Silent Sisters are doing their work and then he shall be sent back to the Vale," Ned explained, "Are you alright? I mean, after seeing Clegane-"

"I'm fine," Alyssa gave her brother a reassuring smile, "I promise."

The crowd started to cheer as the Mountain once again rode into the arena. Ned looked around, "Where is Arya?"

"At her dancing lessons?" Sansa said in a snide tone, still cross with her father even though her wolf had survived. A dopey smile then took over her face, "The Knight of the Flowers."

"Now that is a warrior's name," Edmund said dryly as Loras Tyrell rode towards them, earning a playful slap at the back of his head from Bash, although the older boy didn't try to hide his amusement.

Loras carried two red roses and handed one of them to Sansa who gave him a enamoured smile, "Thank you, Ser Loras."

But Loras eyes weren't on Sansa, they were on the man behind her; Renly Baratheon. Alyssa recognised the look they shared but did not have much time to ponder it before Loras handed her the other red rose. Alyssa shot him a playful wink, having grown to like the boy when she stayed in Highgarden a few years back.

"Why didn't I get a flower?" Edmund frowned in a dramatic manner.

"Because you are ugly," Ashton replied without sparing his brother a glance as they watched Loras and the Mountain bow before the King.

When Loras' white mare got close to the Mounatin's stallion it started to neigh and move around. It continued to fuss even as the contestants rode to their respective sides which made Alyssa smirk in realisation.