CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

THE INVESTIGATION
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE INVESTIGATION ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

298 AC, King's Landing

There was something about the heat in King's Landing that was much worse than the one in Dorne. Maybe it was the humidity or the fact that the dresses were of much thicker material, but the it was far more unbearable there than in Dorne.

Alyssa's heels clicked against the marble-floor as she walked towards the Small Council chamber. Ned had requested her presence as 'Hand of the Hand' and she couldn't refuse him.

She was dressed in a light yellow dress of a thinner material that looked like a mix between dornish and western fashion. Her hair was falling down to her waist as usually but with some braids keeping some of it at the back of her head.

When she entered the Throne Room she stopped at the sight of Sansa walking towards the Iron Throne with Septa Mordane and she decided to listen to the conversation.

"Someday your husband will sit there and you will sit by his side," Septa Mordane said, "And one day, before too long, you will present your son to the court. All the lords of Westeros will gather here to see the little Prince."

Alyssa had to hold back a snort at that. Everyone presented being Queen as a fairytale to Sansa. They made it seem so easy and like that when Joffrey sat on the throne all would be well.

"What if I have a girl?" Sansa wondered.

"Gods be good, you will have boys and girls and plenty of them," Septa Mordane replied as the two stopped.

"But what if I only have girls?" Sansa asked.

"I wouldn't worry about that," Septa Mordane tried to calm her.

"Jeyne Poole's mother had five children, all of them girls," Sansa pointed out.

"Yes, but it's highly unlikely," the Septa said in lack of a better response.

"But what if?"

"Well, if you only had girls, I suppose the throne would pass to Prince Joffrey's little brother," Septa Mordane told her.

"And everyone would hate me," Sansa muttered.

"Nobody could ever hate you," Septa Mordane lied once again. Because even the most loved Queen would have people who hated her.

"Joffrey does," Sansa said.

"Nonsense," Septa Mordane said, "Why would you say such a thing? — That business with the wolves? Sansa, I've told you a hundred times. A direwolf is—"