CHAPTER EIGHTY-EIGHT

THE QUEEN, THE SAND SNAKES, THE SELLSWORD AND A LION
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE QUEEN, THE SAND SNAKES, THE SELLSWORD AND A LION✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

303 AC, Stark-Targaryen Camp, Crownlands

Ashton did not like this.

It just felt so wrong for him, to know that in a few hours he would once again be fighting a battle against his own men; against his own grandfather.

He may have Stark blood running through his veins and he didn't regret that he had chosen to fight alongside Robb and his mother, yet at the end of the day he was Ashton Lannister. Not Stark.

One day he was supposed to inherit Casterly Rock, not Winterfell. He would become Warden of the West, not the North. He should be carrying the lion sigil into battle, not the direwolf.

He had never been an especially pious person, having grown up with a parents that rarely prayed and a grandfather that believed you created your own destiny. But at this moment he prayed to the Old Gods and the New that his mother was right and that his grandfather was planning on surrendering.

Tywin Lannister might not be the most loved and kind man in the Seven Kingdoms, but Ashton loved his grandfather that always had been there for him growing up and he had never been unkind to him or any of his siblings.

Ashton had put on his armour early and now he just needed to wait for everyone to depart in different directions. Shadow had his head placed in Ashton's lap as he sat leaned against a barrel in the grass. He needed a second to collect his thoughts before the battle.

"Ashton?"

His head snapped up at the soft voice and his cat-green eyes clashed with the violet eyes of none other than Daenerys Targaryen. Unlike Lyrella, she would stay behind. From what Ashton had overheard the Princess knew how to defend herself if needed, but she had never liked fighting.

"Daenerys," Ashton smiled. He attempted to stand but Shadow refused to move his head that definitely was heavy enough to hold him down.

"Oh, no, please don't stand up for me," Daenerys smiled sweetly. "I don't want to bother you."

"Then would you like to join me?" Ashton wondered. "I could use the company."

Daenerys pondered it for a few seconds before she gracefully sat down next to him, with a proper distance between them. Even though there was absolutely nothing proper about a Princess and Lord sitting on the ground in the first place.

"Are you nervous?" Daenerys asked but before he could answer she continued. "Not that I assume that you are nervous - I just - my brother is really brave but he is always a little anxious before battles."