CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO

THE POSSIBLE ALLIANCE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE POSSIBLE ALLIANCE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

300 AC, Riverrun

"Your sister is alive," Rhaegar said again and despite not having been in her presence for fifteen years he could easily see when she was overwhelmed even when she tried to hide it.

"Did anyone actually die during the rebellion?" Alyssa muttered before narrowing her eyes at him. Despite her otherwise calm demeanour that look was frightening enough to make him tense up again, "Are you telling me that my sister raised my children-?"

"No," Rhaegar said quickly, not wanting Alyssa to believe that he had replaced her with Lyanna. He hated himself enough for ever betraying her - he would never have allowed Lyanna to be a mother to Lyrella and Daeryn. "She has been around them - but never as a mother. I promise."

"That's reassuring," Alyssa said sarcastically before going back to the original topic, "Where have you been all these years?"

"Braavos, Tyrosh, Lys and Pentos," Rhaegar said, playing with the ring on his finger. It was so weird talking to her again, but a good weird. She was so close, only a table separating them which wasn't much after years with an ocean between them.

He wanted to reach over and take her hand in his. He wondered if it would feel the same to touch her. Her feather like touch before she clocked him the day previous day was so familiar, and felt so right.

"Why are you back now?" Alyssa then asked. "Did you hear that the realm was in pieces and saw your opportunity."

Rhaegar opened his mouth to respond no, but he quickly closed it when he realised that she was right. "Yes, partly. I have spent over a decade planning my return and with the Seven Kingdoms in war it's the perfect time."

"And now you want an alliance with the North," Robb spoke for the first time, "Why is that?"

"I have many reasons to seek an alliance with House Stark," Rhaegar said, "Some personal such as the fact that I'm married to a Stark and my children have Stark blood running through their veins."

"I'm not your wife," Alyssa said, her eyes daring him to disagree.

"Yes, you are," Rhaegar was normally not one to take such a bait, but Alyssa was the exception.

"No, I'm not."

"From this day until the end of our days. None of us are dead which means we are still wed."