CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

THE SUMMER ROSES
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE SUMMER ROSES✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

291 AC, Highgarden

It felt so weird to look upon the white walls of Highgarden and to feel the scent of roses invade her nostrils again. It was almost like travelling back to a simpler time.

The last time she had rode through the gates she had been but a child, mostly innocent to the world around her, and now she was a woman that was all but innocent.

Alyssa had left for the Reach shortly after Jaime and Tywin had travelled to King's Landing with the boys. It had been a hard goodbye for her and she had half a mind to just abduct her own children and travel North with Bash instead.

The blue eyed boy had decided that he would prefer to stay to travel back to Winterfell to spend time with Theon, Robb and Jon instead of going with either of them and she had respected his wish even though she would have loved for him to come with her.

Instead she had travelled alone with a very small party of house guards that accompanied her. It was an extremely small party that wouldn't draw too much attention towards her, making it possible for her to reach Highgarden without much fuss.

Of course the Tyrells knew she was coming for she couldn't very well just barge in on them, but otherwise there hadn't been any big announcement of her journey.

Alyssa pulled Sōna into a halt and with Kēlio in her arms she dismounted the horse. Her little lion cub was growing bigger and bigger by the day and soon it would be hard for her to carry him around. She had grown extremely attached to him and it seemed the cub had grown attached to her too so it was obvious she had to bring him on her travels.

She placed Kēlio on the ground, knowing that he wouldn't run away unless she gave him permission to do so — or if he saw a rabbit. So she hoped the latter wouldn't happen.

Mace Tyrell stood there to greet her and she had to look twice to make sure it was him. He had become a lot fatter since the last time she saw him, his face seemed redder and his brown beard was streaked with white.

Beside him stood a slightly taller man with slightly curly brown hair and hazel eyes that Alyssa immediately recognised, she couldn't believed the little boy she had once played hide and seek with was a man now. She also couldn't help but notice the cane he carried and she knew exactly how he had become crippled from the letters both Olenna and Oberyn sent her.

Alyssa walked over to her small greeting party and curtsied quickly, "My Lords, I'm honoured that you once again have welcomed me into your beautiful home."

"The honour is all ours, Lady Lannister," Mace said and she had fight to keep herself from grimacing at the title she still wasn't fond of. Most people just called her 'Lady Alyssa' these days anyways. "I believe you remember my heir, Willas."