CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

THE QUEEN, THE DWARF, THE SELLSWORD AND THE SQUIRE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE QUEEN, THE DWARF, THE SELLSWORD AND THE SQUIRE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

300 AC, Riverrun

Rhaegar's steps echoed against the stone steps as he walked down towards the Riverrun dungeons. Brynden 'the Blackfish' Tully walked silently beside him and hadn't said a word since his great-nephew ordered him to escort Rhaegar down there.

After having spent over a moon in the ancient castle of House Tully he believed it was time to see the man that sat chained against a wall underneath the Keep. A man that he in reality had no wish to speak to had it not been for the woman they both were wed to.

The last time Rhaegar had seen the Young Lion he had been guarding Alyssa's door the night he returned from the Tower of Joy. He remembered thinking that Jaime's loyalty towards Alyssa was more than most Kingsguard had for a Princess - but hadn't thought much more about it.

Over the years he had heard stories - or rather pieces of memories - that Lyrella had from the rebellion. Ser Jaime had often been assigned to guard them and according to Lyrella he was very nice to them. It wasn't that Rhaegar believed the Young Lion to be cruel - arrogant maybe, but not cruel. But the stories didn't sit right with him.

"I will wait here," Ser Brynden informed him when they reached the cell. The older knight ordered a guard to open the door for him. "I have heard he enjoys to provoke everyone that visits him - but don't kill him."

"I will try not to," Rhaegar muttered before entering the cell with a torch that he placed in a holder by the door.

Jaime Lannister sat leaned against the wall, his head tilted back and his eyes closed like he was sleeping. He didn't look like the young golden knight he had been the last time, but a part of Rhaegar had been expected him to look worse.

"If you'd be so kind to place the food on the floor and leave me to my very busy day of sitting, I'd appreciate it," Jaime said in an almost bored tone.

Rhaegar didn't even grant him an answer, he just crossed his arms and waited for the Lion to realise that he wasn't a servant bringing him his food. It took almost twenty seconds - he counted - before Jaime opened his eyes to look at him.

The recognition was clear on the Lannister man's face; so was the hatred and contempt only for a second before the blond man masked it with an arrogant smirk.

"I have to say - you looked better with silver hair," Jaime Lannister smirked, tilting his head to the side like he was studying him, "Although - your attempt to look like a Night's Watch recruit really suits your somber presence."