CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO

THE WORST IDEA EVER
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE WORST IDEA EVER✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

301 AC, Stark-Targaryen Camp, Riverlands

"I hear Stannis Baratheon is riding south again," Alyssa announced, standing next to Robb in the large war tent.

"Where did you hear that?" Jon Connington asked her, cocking a suspicious eyebrow.

"Do you think I'm trying to deceive you?" Alyssa mimicked his expression, "Tell you that Stannis Baratheon is riding south again to - what? Make you prepare for a battle that isn't coming?"

"Alyssa," Rhaegar sighed, giving her a pleading look.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, "I have relatives at the Wall, remember?" she deadpanned, "Apparently he decided to help the Night's Watch defeat the King Beyond the Wall. Now he is setting his sights a bit more south again. He still has a fairly large army to his name - not to mention his Red Witch." She turned to Rhaegar, "I would look out for shadows if I were you, it's what stabbed Renly Baratheon in the back when he tried to claim the Iron Throne."

"I never thought you were the kind of person that believed in old fairytales," Oberyn smirked, "King killing shadows sounds like a children's story."

"I don't believe in stories, I believe in my own two eyes," Alyssa scoffed, "And what kind of weird stories did your mother tell you when you were a child?"

"Wasn't a large part of Stannis Baratheon's army massacred during the Battle of Blackwater Bay?" Daeryn asked.

"Aye, but even with a large part of his army dead he still commands quite an army," Alyssa told him, "But thanks to Tyrion most of his fleet was destroyed. Unfortunately that has left him to sulk and plan his next attack on Dragonstone for over a year."

"That leaves Dragonstone unprotected," Connington mused.

"We shouldn't waste any time or men on Dragonstone," Alyssa said dismissively, "It's a useless island for us to take."

"It is the seat of House Targaryen," Lyrella pointed out, "We shouldn't leave it in the hands of the brother of the man that usurped our family."

"True. But there are more important things right now," Alyssa argued, "Dragonstone won't give us any advantage at the moment. All our focus should be on taking King's Landing and once we've done that Dragonstone will be our next priority."