CHAPTER NINETY-EIGHT

THE BATTLE OF ICE AND FIRE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE BATTLE OF ICE AND FIRE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

304 AC, Castle Black

Growing up as the heir to the richest family in the Seven Kingdoms, Ashton could not claim to have had a difficult childhood. Quite the opposite actually.

Both Casterly Rock and Winterfell were wonderful places to grow up in. There were plenty of room to play and the servants never turned down the opportunity to give him food or help him.

Ashton, and all of his siblings, we also lucky to have grown up in a loving home. That was a luxury he was well-aware not many children of nobles had. Loving and happy marriages weren't overly common in Westeros.

But his mother and father had loved each other for as long as he could remember. When he was younger he had always believed that true love was what his parents had.

The way they acted around each other was so different from the way he saw other spouses interact with one another. They never seemed burdened by the others presence, were always affectionate with each other and spent most of their free time with each other.

Even when he found out about his father had with his own twin sister, Ashton counted himself lucky because he still had a loving mother and family, even when the realm was being ripped into pieces. So Ashton definitely had something to fight for. Because the Army of the Dead threatened everything he held dear in life.

Out of his peripheral vision he noticed a flash of red and gold, and he turned around to see his grandfather fighting for dear life against three wights at the same time.

Ashton charged forward, slicing down any undead soldiers that dared to approach him. He reached his grandfather just in time to help him fight off the wights.

Tywin sent him a small nod, which was more thanks than anyone else would receive, and then the two continued fighting side by side. Minutes passed that just consisted of blocking and slicing.

Ashton's body was working on its own by now. He barely registered what happened around him until he heard a groan of pain. Turning around he came face to face with his grandfather and it was like time slowed down.

For the first time ever, Tywin Lannister appeared completely frozen. Ashton's cat-green eyes met his grandfather's green ones with golden specks for the last time. Ashton's mind went back to the last conversation they had before the battle.