12

-

My eyelids became heavy,
my vision became fuzzy.
I could finally sleep,
without doubt,
without worry,
at peace.

-

I looked at him in horror. There must have been a mistake, surely my parents couldn't be Lily and James Potter.

"Elaine.." Sirius began but I quickly interrupted him.
"No.. no! This is not true.. this is not true" I muttered to myself, letting my mind wander.

"I thought they told you the day you turned 11! That was the deal.." he said, his cold cheeks heating up from anger.
"What do you mean? I spent my whole life in Azkaban until I turned 13" I said as my eyes began to water.

Sirius's eyes darkened, and he looked furious. He brushed his hand aggressively through his hair, trying to understand himself what was going on.

He looked at me as the tears began trembling down. He tried to comfort me by rubbing my back, but I quickly brushed him off.

"Elaine, I promise I'm going to explain everything, but right now you need to get back inside the castle. It's not safe for me or you" he begged, pleading even. I tried demonstrating but it was no use.

"Elaine. You can't tell anyone about this" Sirius began, looking deeply into my eyes with sorrow.
"The right time will come, and I promise it will be soon, but please get inside the castle!" He said, gently pushing me.

"No- I can't! Sirius, please explain!" I begged as my voice broke. Everything was spinning, I couldn't wrap my head around what was going on.

"Elaine, please. For me." That did it.
I looked one last time at Sirius before running my way back to the castle.

As I ran, memories flashed through my head, spinning in my mind effortlessly. Everything made sense, yet I understood nothing. It was like Sirius was a missing puzzle piece I couldn't fit into my puzzle.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine" the red-haired lady sang, rocking me in her arms.

I winced at the memory, her voice still echoing in my head rent-free.

"Lily! Look! Elaine smiled for the first time!" A man with glasses yelled, looking lovingly down at me.
The red-haired lady I assumed was Lily, squealed at the sight.
"They are growing up so fast!" Lily smiled, wiping her now wet eyes.
Lily.

I began to run faster, eager for the painful memories to stop.
I wasn't in pain, but the fact that my whole life had been a lie, made the deepest parts of my soul ache.

"Look! It's uncle Sirius and uncle moony!" The man from before exclaimed as he was holding me and another boy around the same age. He looked familiar.
Sirius and Professor Lupin walked through the door, smiling excitedly at us.
"James, you look like a housewife!" Remus laughed.
James.

The tears began to flood down my cheeks but were soon wiped away thanks to the cold midnight wind.

"Now, I don't want you to have any boyfriends or girlfriends before you're thirty!" Sirius said sternly, earning a confused look from me since I was a baby. His expression soon softened as he picked me up, placing soft kisses on my nose.

"No! Let it stop! Please!" I begged through my sobs. My head was pounding, and my heart was beating harshly against my chest.

"Harry, be nice to your sister!" Lily warned, but soon her serious expression turned into a soft smile.

Confusion clouded my mind, reflecting on the last 13 years.
Everything became too much, and I collapsed hard against the cold ground, right in front of the castle.

-

I woke up in an unfamiliar cold bed. As I opened my eyes, the sharp blinding light made me squint. I was in the hospital wing.

I tried to sit up, my vision still fuzzy. I let out a small grunt, my head was pounding and my world spinning.

"Elaine?" A soft voice asked.
I turned my head facing a sleepy Pansy.

"Pansy? What happened?" I asked, still adjusting to the blinding light.

"I told you you shouldn't have gone out! It was dangerous, what went through your head? What happened even? You passed out Elaine! You're here for observation, so we know you won't run off again" Pansy scolded me. I let out a sigh, relieved I wasn't hurt.

"I'm sorry. I know it was stupid" I sighed, regretting every dissension I took last night.
Pansy grabbed my hand, lightly stroking it reassuring me she wasn't mad.

"What happened?" She asked after a couple of minutes. I gulped and looked down at our hands. I didn't know if I should tell her or not, I knew I could trust her, but I didn't know if I could trust myself.

"I promise I will tell you, but I can't right now" I admitted truthfully. Pansy raised her eyebrow, examining my facial expression trying to find any clues on what happened last night. Eventually, she gave up.

"What happened to me?" I asked.
Pansy gave me a crooked smile before answering.

"Well.. professor Lupin went out to look after you, since.. you know.. you were gone!" She laughed at the memory. I wanted to laugh with her, but I couldn't get the thought of Sirius out of my head. More specifically what he said.

"He found you outside the castle, laying on the ground passed out! you're probably gonna get detention!" She said. I gulped at the mention of detention, but that wasn't my biggest issue.

"I'm just glad you're okay," she said as she let out a long breath.
"Me too"

-