23

-

Everything became loud.
The scars reopened,
The pain was scolding,
And all that was left
Was a little girl,
Completely and utterly,
Broken.

-

Our third year at Hogwarts, technically my first had come to an end.

Everyone was ecstatic about going on summer holiday, but I had a bad feeling in my gut.
I was going to spend it at the orphanage, not looking forward to being away from my friends.

While my loved ones went on vacation, visited friends, and enjoyed the warm weather, I was stuck at a big, cold orphanage.

Molly had offered me to stay at the burrow, which I denied thinking it would be uncomfortable; I later regretted it deeply.

I was going to spend the last few days with them though since we were all going to see the quidditch world cup.

The weeks at the orphanage were horrible, almost traumatizing.

~

"And remember, girls. If you don't behave, no food, no bed, and no privacy!" Mrs. Bell yelled, her shrieking voice making goosebumps appear across my skin.

We all sat down at the long table, eager for something to eat after a long day of doing chores. The food was placed down on our plates, revealing a boring soup with a small dry piece of bread. I gulped at the food feeling my stomach turn. Hogwarts food had quickly become a privilege.

I began eating silently without thinking much of it, that was when Mrs. Bell slammed her hands on the table, anger radiating off of her.
"We always pray first!" She said sternly.
The other girls looked at her, terrified of what she was capable of doing.
"Jeez, sorry" I mumbled, making the girls around me gasp in horror.

Mrs. Bell stormed towards me, her heels tapping harshly against the wooden floor.
Suddenly I felt a burning sensation on my left cheek, she had slapped me.
"Phillip, take the girl to the basement!" She yelled, her cold voice echoing through the orphanage.

A strong man came and picked me up unwillingly. I screamed and kicked not knowing what was bound to happen to me. The table began to shake, and the lights began to flicker. That resulted in me being completely locked away from the outside.
He threw me in a cold and dark cellar. The concrete was slightly wet, and no light was to be seen. I screamed for days, begging for something to eat. 

~

That went on for weeks. I had lost quite a bit of weight from the strict food intake, making my body weak and fragile.
Bruises were spread across my skin, new ones forming every day.
I couldn't wait to go back to Hogwarts, one thing was for sure, I was never going back to that orphanage.

-

I had finally arrived at the burrow.
It was around 6 am and the cold summer breeze skimmed through my clothes.
I was wearing layers upon layers of clothing, hoping no one would notice my new bruised body. No one would question it, for now, considering the rather chilly atmosphere.

"Oh, Elaine! How good to see you!" Molly exclaimed opening the door. She wrapped her arms tightly around me, taking me by surprise by her sudden affection. I relaxed at her warm embrace, taking in her comforting scent.

"Elaine!" A soft voice squealed, running down the stairs. I met eyes with Hermione, soon feeling her arms around me too.

After greeting everybody we went inside, the twins were especially excited to see me again, and so was I.

"Elaine," A familiar voice said. I turned around and met eyes with my very own brother.

"Harry!" I exclaimed running towards the scar headed boy. He smiled as we hugged tightly, both clearly missing each other.

"How are you? How was the.. orphanage?" Harry asked, sorrow hidden well in his majestic voice.

"Uh- Well" I stuttered, struggling to find the right words. Suddenly a sweet smell filled my nostrils, leaving my mouth watery.

"What is that smell?" I asked searching the room from where the smell could be coming from.

"It's breakfast, dear!" Molly exclaimed, setting down delicious food on the long table in front of us.

I quickly sat down beside the twins, my stomach growling at the sight.

Everyone sat down, beginning to fill their plates with the delicious goods.

I widened my eyes as they all began to eat.
"What's wrong, Elaine?" Ginny asked, chewing her toast, carefully spectating my facial expressions.

"We hadn't- Uh never mind" I stuttered, internally scolding myself.
It wasn't normal behavior at the orphanage, but somehow I had been brainwashed into thinking it was.

Soon enough I filled my plate, having to contain myself from going overboard.

I took a bite out of a big bagel, closing my eyes in pleasure. I began eating faster, scared that it would be over at any minute.
I could feel everyone's eyes on me but I didn't care, I was starving.

"Woah slow down!" Fred exclaimed, taking the bagel out of my hand.
I glared at him before slightly shifting my head, making the bagel fly out of his grasp right into mine. I smiled an innocent smile, continuing eating.

"Didn't they feed you or something!" George joked, but it didn't feel funny.
I swallowed my bite harshly before putting down the half-eaten bagel back on my plate.
I sat back in my chair, my hands suddenly becoming very interesting.

"Oh my god! They didn't feed you, did they?!" Hermione asked as a worried expression spread across her face.

I gulped still avoiding any eye contact.
"It's fine! It was my fault.. I couldn't control it. They threatened to send me back to Azkaban because of.. well you know. They would lock me away, feeding me twice a week! I'm sorry" I stuttered.

"They can't do that!" Fred yelled standing up.
"We have to report them!" George followed.
I smiled at the thought of them getting reported. One day I would get revenge.

"Boys sit down!" Molly exclaimed sternly.
She placed her palm on my cold hand, stroking her thumb across my pale skin.

"You're safe now, Elaine. You're not going back to Azkaban" she reassured me. I let out a long breath, giving her a thankful smile before continuing to eat.

-