26

-

And for a mere second, our eyes met.
His on mine, mine on his.
And for that mere second, everything felt okay.
And then a simple blink made us strangers again.

-

Days had quickly passed since the incident.
I was exhausted, and could almost not bear to eat, shower, think even. All I could do was lay in bed, sleeping my days away until we were back at Hogwarts.

That day had finally come, and I was more nervous than excited.
I was of course excited to see Pansy, but meeting eyes with Draco again just didn't sit right with me.

I was on the train towards Hogwarts, looking for my Slytherin friends.
I had just said goodbye to the golden trio and was headed towards the Slytherin compartment.

"Elaine!" A high pitch voice squealed, wrapping her tiny arms around me.
She took me by surprise but I soon relaxed in her embrace.

Pansy opened the compartment, and sure enough there he was, the boy I was so afraid of meeting eyes with.

"Elaine!" Theo exclaimed, getting up rather clumsy, hugging my fragile body tightly.
Soon Blaise joined, excited to see me.

"How was the orphanage?" He asked curiously.
I sighed, internally scolding myself.

"Well let's just say I was locked in a cellar for 3 weeks," I said, flashing him a sarcastic smile.

They all looked sympathetic at me, but I didn't want their pity.
I was tired of people feeling bad for me, it was all I've ever known.
I had my struggles, yes, but that didn't mean people had to remind me of them every single minute of every single day.

I sat down beside Pansy.
Draco, Theo, and Blaise were sat across from us.

As I sat down I began to take my thick coat off, revealing my new shirt.
It was a long sleeve shirt made out of mesh, making it slightly see-through. It had moons and suns all over, glowing in bronze. Hermione had bought it from some muggle store as a summer gift.

Suddenly Pansy let out a gasp, looking wide-eyed at me.

"Did they even feed you?!" She exclaimed, holding up my frail arm.
I gulped at her comment, silently glaring at her.

"Obviously not.. have you seen her? She looks like a corpse!" Draco scoffed.
I switched my attention to him, slightly shaking my head in disbelief that he would say something like that.

"Draco, stop!" Blaise said sternly.
Draco shrugged before spectating the arm Pansy was once holding up.

I explained to them what had happened at the orphanage and that I was never going back.
I also explained to them about the Quidditch World Cup, leaving out the part with Draco of course.

Soon the train had finally arrived and we were back at Hogwarts.
We were home.

-

We were all stood in the large corridor, ready in our uniforms, excited for our fourth year.

Suddenly four flying horses flew through the air pulling a heavy carriage.