2

-

The start of something new.
I finally get to bloom like the tulips in spring.
I finally get to discover who I am and who is me.
I hope I don't fade away when the smallest thunder hits.
Leaving me alone, cold, torn to bits.

-

I was standing in Diagon Alley. Mrs. Bell was with me, impatiently tapping her foot against the concrete beneath us.
I took in a fresh breath of air and exhaled deeply, preparing myself for the adventure that was about to begin.

"Hello there Elaine!" A loud voice spoke.
I turned around and met eyes with a very tall bulky man, his head covered in hair.
A kind smile was spread across his face, hiding underneath his thick beard.

"Hello," I said, looking up at the tall man in amazement.

"I'm hagrid, I'm the gatekeeper and keeper of keys and grounds of Hogwarts school of wizardry!" He said and smiled down at me.

"Hello, Hagrid. Nice to see you again." Mrs. Bell said with a bit of sarcasm.
I glared at her but quickly scolded myself for it.

"Alright. Elaine, I will be leaving. Here's my information, you can always contact me. I will be your guardian from now on" she said with a sickly sweet smile. I flinched at her high-pitched voice, and she seemed to notice, brushing it off with a scoff.

We said our goodbyes, getting over with it as quickly as possible.
it wasn't a sad goodbye, more of a "glad to get rid of you" goodbye.

"Ok, follow me, Elaine!" The tall man breathed before walking towards the big crowd in front of us.

There were lots of stores sitting comfortably on the street, kids were running around, stressing out their parents.

I looked in amazement at the sight, taking in every corner and every detail like I would never see it again.

"This is Ollivanders, here you will be getting your wand," Hagrid announced, pointing towards a small shop with big windows.

I quietly stepped up the stairs and opened the door nervously. It was heavy and I had to put all my weight on it.

As we walked in I noticed the slight scent of wood and old papers. It was familiar yet so extremely new.

I let my eyes spectate the room carefully, noticing every feature.

"Well hello, Hagrid my good old friend" I assume Ollivander said.

"And who do we have here?" He asked and looked at me.

"This is Elaine Celestia Blythe, she will be getting her first wand today!" Hagrid beamed excitedly.

"Elaine Blythe! I see" he said spectating me.

"So can I get my wand?" I asked, uncomfortable with the energy lingering in the atmosphere.

"Yes yes. But you must know, you don't choose the wand, the wand chooses you." He said looking me deeply in the eyes.
His eyes glistered with passion, excited for me to pick out a wand.

"Hmm, let's try this one." He said and handed me a wooden stick. I thought it would be a lot more magical than a stick with some carving on it.

"Well, give it a flick then!" The old man yelled eagerly, motioning for me to flick the wooden stick in my hand.

I flicked it and suddenly boxes fell out of the shelves, making me back away from the wand.

"Hmm.. maybe not" he mumbled to himself.
"I wonder.."

"Here you go," he handed me another wand.

It was an 11-inch hawthorn wand with a Phoenix hair core and slight flexibility. It had beautiful carving on the handle, and you couldn't miss the details even if you wanted to. I looked at it in awe while running my fingertips over the carving feeling the fresh wood.

"Go on!" Ollivander hurried.

I flicked it, and suddenly golden light started appearing around me. My hair was blowing like I was outside in the wind, and sparkles were glittering on my skin. My eyes lightened up as I looked at the beautiful wand.

"This is one of the rarest wands I have in my shop! I only ever sold 2, one of them belonged to a very special girl." He said with a smile spread across his face making wrinkles appear at the corner of his eyes.

"The wand has spoken, this is your wand, Ms. Blythe"

-

"Next stop 'Eyelop's owl emporium/magical menagerie!' Hagrid said, his voice echoing through Diagon Alley, making a few people turn around startled.

"I get an owl?" I asked, confusion reflecting in my voice.

"Well of course you do silly girl!" Hagrid said as if it was obvious.
He picked up a cage with a grey owl in it.

"What about this one?" He asked.

I stepped closer to the owl and spectated it.
The owl's feathers were beautiful.
Even though they were grey, they had brown spots and were white in the tips.
It almost reminded me of powdery snow falling silently from the sky on a cold winter morning.
The eyes were a piercing orange, reminding me of a wildfire.
It looked so peaceful yet bustling.
I slowly stuck my finger in the cage, petting the owl softly. The owl closed its eyes, enjoying my touch.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" I asked, still looking at the owl.
"It's a girl, you can name her whatever you want!" He said grinning.

I looked at the soft owl in front of me in awe
"I think I will name her sage" I said confidently.

-

We had gotten all my stuff and was headed to the train station.
Suddenly we bumped into a brown-haired girl. Her frizzy hair was bouncing lightly on her shoulders, her hands were filled with dusty books, and she looked like she was in a hurry.

"Sorry!" The girl said looking up.
"Hagrid! Nice to see you" she greeted politely.

"Hermione, this is Elaine!" Hagrid said revealing me behind him.

"Hi," I said shyly, I had never met a girl my age before.

"Hi, Elaine! how come I've never seen you before? What house are you in?" Hermione flooded me with questions, I didn't want her to know I was a Blythe, everyone knew my parents, and not for the better.

"I- uh- I'm actually" I stuttered but was quickly cut off by a red-headed boy running up to Hermione.

"Blimey Hermione! Get a handle on your cat! She's chasing scabbers again!" The red-haired boy yelled, holding a rat tightly against his chest.

"Ron, you're kind of interrupting something," Hermione said sternly referring to me.
I stood awkwardly and waved at him a bit. He blushed, probably feeling embarrassed.

"Oh... Um... hi! I'm Ron, Ron Weasley" he said and offered to shake my hand.
I looked at his hand confused, I wasn't used to shaking hands, I wasn't used to human contact at all actually.

"Hi! I'm Elaine." I smiled and shook his hand.
He politely returned the smile and turned back to Hermione.

"We better catch the train." He hurried, and with that he and Hermione waved goodbye.

-

Hagrid and I finally got to the train station, it was wonderful.

"Okay, I'm gonna leave you here, take care. I will see you at Hogwarts!" He said and waved.
I awkwardly waved back making my way on the train.

Suddenly I was all alone. Nothing could've prepared me from what I was about to experience next.

-