CHAPTER 9

"Clive wouldn't stop crying the entire day. We had to show him the family registry to calm him down" said Rosaline, thinking about the incident.

"My goodness, I cannot believe that Angelica can do something like this" exclaimed Viscountess Hathway

"Pfft!"

Countess Caroline Norton who had been silent the entire time almost spat out her tea.

*cough* *cough*

"Are you alright?"

"Don't stop at the most interesting part. Continue with the story. What happened next. Did they reconcile?" asked Countess Norton excitedly. Her demeanor was in contrast to her aloof attitude a few minutes ago.

In fact, Caroline had been listening carefully the entire time without interrupting Rosaline because she wanted to gather as much information as possible.

Caroline had an ulterior motive for today's tea party, besides meeting her friends after a long time.

It was to introduce her son Adam Norton to the Ashford family's only daughter, Angelica.

Angelica was cute, bright, witty, and a tad bit sadistic at times (maybe more than a tad bit). She was perfect in every way.

It was evident that she would grow up to be a beautiful noble lady.

And when she debuts, she will be surrounded by undesirable suitors.

In order to avoid that, Caroline wanted to claim Angelica for herself before she got snatched away by the wolves in the capital.

And having her best friend Rosaline as in-laws was not a bad idea.

'I have to seal the deal with an early engagement' Caroline nodded to herself.

"Reconcile?" Rosaline's brows creased.

"The next day it was like nothing ever happened. Clive was chasing after her like a duckling following its mother asking to play"

"At least they reconciled. My children fight like they are enemy nations" complained Caroline.

"She's right it could be worse" Vanessa attested to her.

"You're children can talk?" Maze scoffed sarcastically.

It was a well-known fact among the nobles, about how the only child of house Hathway was a recluse.

Maze felt envious of her friends from time to time. Even if it were to fight or cause trouble, she would be happy if her son ever talked to her.

"Angelica is the future daughter-in-law of house Norton. I wouldn't expect anything less from her" Caroline stated her claim.

"You just made things worse Caroline. I never said I would give you my daughter"

"Isn't that a given that she's my future daughter-in-law?" Caroline said confidently, she was not going to back down on this no matter what the circumstance.

"Do I need to ask Adam to get down on one knee and propose"? Tell me. Because I will"

"They are just children"

"Well....The earlier the better as they say"

*bang*

Suddenly they heard a loud noise.

"What was that?" Rosaline stood up from her seat. She felt a bad premonition.

"It's coming from the back garden. That's where the children are. Let's go"

Meanwhile, on the other side of the garden, a group of children were all running away from something or to be precise, someone.

"Run" A cute yet scary voice said threateningly.

"Waaaah"

"That's what you get for messing with the big guns brats...hehehe"

Near a knocked-out statue, a little girl was standing on top of a boy who looked around six to seven years old.

The little girl had a long white thing in her hand that was wiggling to get out. She quickly hid it behind her back as soon as she heard the adults coming towards them and went back to her usual demeanor.

"Looks like we got company..... ain't we lil' brat" She smirked.

She took a step away from the boy sprawled face down on the floor, put the thing in her pocket and dusted off her clothes as she looked towards the group of alarmed people coming towards them.

"What happened Bryan" asked Maze to her frightened son who was the first one out of the scene.

"Mother she..... she......she" he stammered pointing behind. He sprung forward and clung to his mother for the first time in his life.

'Why does he look scared?' Maze wondered. She was surprised to see her expressionless son suddenly cling to her like his life depended on it.

"Adelaide you look like a mess! Where is your brother Adam?" Caroline got down on her knees to look at her daughter's pale face.

"Mother....*sniff* *sniff* Brother is dead" Adelaide started crying in her mother's arms.

"She killed him"

Out came Tristan and Elliot, Vanessa's twins without any sign of panic on their faces. They looked at each other and nodded once before they walked towards their mother.

Rosaline put her hands to her head as she thought of her.

What did she do to frighten the other children to this extent?

Just what in the world happened?