Chapter 149

The sun has long risen up the sky, yet I haven't slept a wink.

Having lost track of time, I covered my face with my hands in an effort to rest my eyes. I couldn't remember how many times I have done so over the course of the night.

I was tired and drained but also in no state to rest or even think about resting.

And as for the reason why a man immobilized for months was feeling fatigued? It couldn't be more obvious.

"Chirpy grab my coffee..." A hoarse voice was heard from the side.

Over the past few hours, my heart had constantly oscillated between surprise, anger, amusement, and frustration. An array of different emotions all within a single night because of one absolutely drunk woman, who also happened to be my wife.

Exhausted beyond recognition, Angelica was deep asleep tightly clutching onto my arm, using me as her personal pillow like she always does.

My head was throbbing from replaying the incidents of the night again and again. Whereas the rest of my body was locked within her hold.

Even without confirming the scene with my eyes, I knew that the room was a mess. A mess that Angelica so effortlessly created in an out-of-control intoxicated state.

To summarise the events of the previous night. The vault was raided, the room was ransacked and finally, my own face was vandalized. 

Needless to say, we have crossed far beyond the point of return.

After the spectacle last night, Angelica hasn't opened her eyes once. In fact, she was sleeping so peacefully that it made me doubt if everything she had done so far was just a dream.

"Hehehe... Stop being so fluffy..."

In the beginning, Angelica was struggling in her sleep as if she was having a bad dream. She was shivering and crying while continuously apologizing to an unknown figure.

It was the second time she had cried, since entering the Frost estate. Just like the first time, I was powerless and incapacitated, unable to do anything or even comprehend the reason behind her tears.

Hearing how relaxed she is now, it seems like the nightmare has passed.

"Let go of my dress... No... don't pull my shirt"

Her sleep talk, on the other hand, was equal amounts confusing and infuriating. I was neither a fan of the person nor of the context of her descriptions.

While I don't know how exactly this 'Chirpy' person was related to her, I didn't like the way she was calling him.

"Baby..." Angelica called out lovingly.

With that one word, the temperature around me dropped in an instant. 

'Baby...' Such an intimate way of calling a man who was not her husband while being in bed with him. 

It was then I realized the possibility of 'Chirpy' being 'the love of her life' Angelica mentioned. My muscles tensed from imagining the worse.

While one part of me understood that I was feeling instinctively territorial like any other creature, the other was confused as to why I got unnecessarily agitated when it came to her. For I had never lost focus on the battlefield, to be disoriented by mere sleep talk was a concerning issue.

Looks like I would be making a quick visit to the Ashford county in the near future.

At that moment, Angelica tightened her grip on my arm.

"Why is it cold?" She mumbled, snuggling against my body underneath the quilt. She tangled her legs with mine and cozied up till she was comfortable.

The innocent gesture made my already burning body feel like it was back on the lava pit inside the Serpent god's lair. Only this time, it was worse.