CHAPTER 37

Three weeks later. 

*chirp* *chirp*

Birds were chirping as usual outside the Ashford manor in a rhythmic tone. 

People working in the manor were doing their chores as if they were puppets in strings without any emotions. 

Not a sound was heard from the once boisterous house.

The sound of footsteps walking through the hallway was heard from inside the study. 

Rosaline's maid Claire opened the door to find the butler holding a bunch of envelopes. The butler walked in and handed Rosaline the envelopes.

"Madam, it's from the capital" 

He bowed and left the room after completing his task.

Rosaline put on her reading glasses and looked through the envelopes. 

It was from the nobles in the capital inquiring about the welfare of Countess Maria Ashford. She sighed as she put down the letters and walked towards the window.

"Has she eaten anything?" Rosaline asked Claire in a tired voice.

"Countess Maria was taken care of by the caretakers and..." Claire dragged looking at Rosaline's back,

"The young lady has not"

"Haah..." Rosaline put her hand on the window glass, looking at the bird's nest outside. 

There was a mother bird with four hatchlings. The mother bird was feeding one hatchling while the other three cried out impatiently.

Rosaline thought of Maria who was bedridden for three weeks. 

Maria was transported from St.Isabella's hospital the same night she collapsed. It was Maria's decision after she regained consciousness to come back home and not stay at the hospital to get treated, though it was against the family's wishes.

The family was against it since the transport would put excess strain on her body. But she refused. 

The territorial dispute blew up at the same time. So the family was busy handling everything without being prepared for the worst. 

Lorenz was keeping the Moore's at bay and Clive took over his father's duties. Angelica wouldn't leave Maria's side and was stuck by her side 24/7.

Rosaline herself was fatigued from working all night and taking care of the residence. She was holding the family together from falling apart.

"Get well soon, Mother '' Rosaline said in a hopeful voice as a drop of tear glided down her cheek.

Outside the window, the mother bird spread its wings and flew from its nest leaving its hatchlings crying out for their mother's return. 

Rosaline's azure eyes followed the mother bird till it disappeared beside the setting sun. She wiped the tear on her cheek and sat down in her seat. 

She started writing the reply letters for all the letters she received, the same she has been doing for the past week. Only the sound of writing was heard in the room.

*tick-tock* *tick-tock* 

The clock kept ticking in the main hall.

On the east side of the manor inside her room, Maria was lying on the bed unconscious, breathing slowly and steadily. Three weeks have passed since she collapsed. She momentarily gained consciousness from time to time.

Suddenly, she opened her eyes and looked around the state of the room she was in. 

On either side of the bed scattered on the floor were books and medications from different countries. There were even a few voodoo dolls with pins on their heads among the scatter. She looked down beside her feet to find her granddaughter sleeping, leaning on the bed while sitting on the floor.

Maria tried to reach for the glass of water on the side table. But her hands were shaking and she dropped it instead, alerting the sleeping Angelica.

*clatter*

Angelica woke up, startled by the noise of the glass falling. 

She got up with hazy eyes to find Maria's outstretched hand and the shattered glass on the floor. On realizing the scene she got in a frenzy and jumped towards her side.

"Grandma! Do you... do you need anything? I... I ...I'll get you water"

Angelica got up and poured a glass of water. She sat Maria up and held her with one hand and fed her with the other.

"Angelica.." Maria called out in a hazy state. She had a relaxed face as Angelica laid her down.

"How long has it been since you last slept? You look like a mess" She smiled, stifling a laugh.

"I'm... I'm fine grandma" Angelica assured, wiping her face with her hands. 

Her eyes were red and puffy from the lack of sleep and stress. She tried her best to appear normal in front of Maria but failed miserably.

"I..I..I'll go get mom" Angelica tried to call everyone.

"Come near Angelica.." Maria held out her hand. 

Angelica took her hand and kneeled down beside the bed.

"I need to go..." Maria closed her eyes.

"..."

Angelica held her hand tightly in response to her words. Tears started to well up in her eyes.

"It's my time now" Maria stroked Angelica's face. She wiped the tear that fell down Angelica's cheek with her thumb.

"..."

"And I can't.  Unless you let go"