CHAPTER 25

One month later.

"Finally we're home" I said on reaching the Ashford residence.

*woof* *woof*

"This is your home too baby"

The little pup excitedly ran around me in circles.

After weeks of rigorous nourishment and overflowing love, he's in perfect shape.

Though he rarely separates from me. He was an energetic and playful little guy, enough to tire me out easily.

The body of a child can only hold on to a certain extent. When I grow up, we will be in an equal stance.

"An-An! You're back"

Clive came running when he saw me pass through the gates.

He looks like he ran here straight from training. He was even wearing his sparring outfit.

Which means he ran out on Sir Benjamin.

He's so dead.

Sir Benjamin is the head Knight of house Ashford. Regardless of a person's social status, he's very strict with trainees. Not to me of course. But, Clive on the other hand is a different story.

Clive got in a bear hug before I could say anything and started rubbing my head.

"You got a death wish?"

*Grrrr* *Grrrr*

"Hmm...what was tha...ah?"

Clive looked down to find a little puppy standing in a threatening stance. Ready to charge.

"Where did this puppy come from? Did you bring it?" Clive released me and reached out his hand to pat him.

*bark* *bark*

Not having expected a denial, he took back his hand looking a bit heartbroken.

"HIS name is 'Chirpy' " I said taking him in my arms,

"You better treat him well or else I'll break your legs"

"Why would you...... An-An you're soo mean to me" Clive pouted.

We started walking towards the main residence and to nobody's surprise, Clive followed me complaining the entire time.

Looks like mom tattled on me about the snacks that kept disappearing from his room.

I was only gone for a few weeks. I can't believe mom betrayed me.

"Brother I only did that because I love you" I said putting a hand on his shoulder and looking him in the eyes.

Clive seemed taken aback by my words.

He scratched his cheek embarrassed.

It was not every day that I openly agreed to an accusation, but I needed as many allies as I could get. Because my mother is not an easy opponent.

"An-An!"

It was mom. She looked gorgeous as usual.

She ran towards me with tearful eyes, like a tragic heroine.

The expression on her face was like she was meeting me for the first time in years after returning from war.

Although Mom was coming towards me as if she would hug me in a tearful reunion, she stopped five steps away from me.

"An-An, what is that in your arms" she said pointing at Chirpy.

"Mommy this is Chirpy"

Looking like a sad puppy myself, I carefully stroked Chirpy's head.

"I adopted him"

I held out Chirpy, who was wagging his tail excitedly. I think he likes Mom.

*woof* *woof*

"Adopted?"

I need to make a deep impression here or else she will not allow him to stay. I put Chirpy down and covered his ears.

"Chirpy lost his mother" I said with a sorrowful expression " he doesn't have anyone else. So I adopted him"

"Um.." Mom hesitated.

"Can't I?" I said as tears started forming in my eyes

She may have hesitated a few seconds ago, with a lethal move like this she looked convinced.

Is this really going to be an easy win?

To test it out, I let go of Chirpy. He ran towards mom and was looking at her with his big round eyes. She paused for a bit, but slowly bent down and reached out her hand to pat his head.

Happy from being acknowledged, Chirpy wagged his tail so fast that I thought it would fall off.

He's never done that for me. I'm feeling a little jealous.

"See mom he likes you"

But first things first we need her approval.

"Hmm" she smiled

Suddenly I was lifted in the air by someone from behind. And it was not too hard to guess who it was.

There's only one person in this household with the ability to sneak up on me other than grandma.

It was Dad.

"I missed you, my angel" he said, hugging me.

Darn it...... I didn't notice him at all. Guess I need to sharpen up my skills.

"Daddy!" I hugged him back.

He may be clingy at times. But I really did miss my goofy dad.

"Aww" He squirmed and squished my cheeks

"Who is that by the way" He continued pointing at Chirpy

"He's Chirpy, Daddy. The newest member of our family"

I patted his chest and gave a quick rundown of the situation.

Dad looked towards mom for her approval knowing of her fear for animals. After she smiled at him and gave a slight nod, he bent down with me still in his arms and gave Chirpy a light pat on the head.

"Welcome to the family Chirpy"

Dad widened his arms and welcomed Chirpy.

*woof*

Chirpy jumped up in joy.

'Yes! I did it!'

"Ok now everyone. Group hug"

'Nooo!'

I screamed internally as I was caught on all sides.

Sigh....... I can't help but love my clingy family.