CHAPTER 56

I could hear the sound of footsteps getting closer as I hid the throwing knife. The dress was uncomfortable when I wore it, but now it turned out to be useful.

I turned around to see three knives stuck on the wall like glue. They must be assassins by profession to have access to such high-quality stuff. Just by looking at it, I could say that it was sharp enough to cut through wood like butter.

Anyway, back to the present I need to look 'scared'. Like 'scared' scared. I needed to look like I had just looked death in the face, which I actually did. 

However, my reflection in the window looked more annoyed and pissed rather than scared.

I looked around to find something that could alleviate my appearance. Right then, I spotted a vase with a bunch of flowers on the side table.

I took out the flowers and sprinkled the water inside the vase on myself to make it look like I was sweating. And a little water near my eyes to look like I cried from being scared.

I put away the vase and slid down right below the wall where the knives were showcased.

'Now deep take breaths and look panicked'

"Madam, are you alright?" asked Head Knight Luther who was the first one to find me. 

Luther was dressed in formal wear embodied with the emblem of the Dukedom of Frost, a majestic Silver wolf. He was as big as a bear.

Now I miss my baby, Chirpy. I wonder what he is up to without me.

Luther paused for a moment when he saw me and started scouting the place. He said something under his breath when he saw all the knives above my head. Though it was too low for me to hear, I could guess what he was saying.

He was cursing. Not only was his master he served in a coma under life-threatening circumstances but now the mistress of the house was also getting targeted. And they were doing a bad job preventing it.

'You're not the only one pal'

I heard more footsteps headed our way. And soon we were surrounded by a group of knights.

"Ther...There..I...I..." 

I pointed at the trees with shaky hands. I wrapped my arms around myself and shielded my face between my knees.

"You..." Luther ordered his second in command.

"Lockdown this place. Nobody's getting out till the intruder is caught"

An alarm was rung loud enough to alert the entire estate and the place went into lockdown. I sat and watched as more and more people started to surround me.

"Madam!" Lynn came running towards me. She looked worried at seeing my state. She kneeled beside me and placed her hand on top of mine.

"Lynn. Escort the madam to her room" the head knight ordered her with his face turning grimmer by the second.

And that was how convincing my act was. Maybe I can even make a career out of it.

"Let me help you up" Lynn said with a face full of nervousness.

I stood up with her help and walked with my face down. I do not want them to look at my face at this moment or else my cover would be blown.

Should I try the classic stumbling on nothing thing? I think that would make me look weaker.

'Good! I will trip and Lynn can support me. That's a solid plan'

Lynn who was by my right side, matched my pace and walked a step behind me. Up close she looked younger than her age.