Chapter 155

"He's dead. And I killed him!"

My hands unconsciously clenched tight at Angelica's words. 

Certainly, I expected her to have some sort of resentment towards her days at the Frost Estate. But hearing it in person was not pleasant in the least.

"Sir! You hand!"

Ezra's frantic outburst once again reminded me of where I was. His actions were warranted since it was not the right place or the right time for me to act out impulsively.

Time can change many things. 

With time, wounds heal, memories fade, and even reality changes to the point of infinity. For some, it turns into a book of a past journey to look at and learn from. But for others, it could become a prison with no way to escape.

Time wields such a power that it could change a person completely, so much so that they couldn't identify their past selves when they turn back to look at who they once were.

If I was the same person I was three years ago, I would have raided the small village Angelica was hiding in with an army of Knights and taken her away even if by force. But I knew by heart, if I were to conduct such an act, I would have found my wife but lost Angelica in the process.

Still, these thoughts keep circling my mind every time I look at her.

In the art of war, there are moments when one should take two steps back in order to be four steps ahead of the opponent.

Therefore to not cast any doubt, I had only brought Ezra with me while the rest of the Dark Wolfs were stationed outside the town.

'Even the slightest mistake could come at a great cost' I recited to myself. If I were to involuntarily reveal myself at this moment, all will be for naught.

"I'm fine"

The spilled wine from the broken glass dripped from my hands onto the table like droplets of blood. It reminded me of the morning after Angelica broke into my vault to take the alcohol within. 

"Everything is fine" I repeated trying to keep myself as calm as possible, so as to not attract further attention.

Nevertheless, if things were to follow the same route as three years ago, I had a good idea of what was to come next.

I reached for the cufflinks in my shirt that activated the glamor. As much as I would like to appear before Angelica in my true form. I could not do that for obvious reasons. 

Since extreme emotions could tamper with the effects of the magic cast, I had to check to see if the glamor was still in effect.

Sure enough, the red ruby on the cufflinks had a faint glow that momentarily flickered before regaining its color. It meant that the magic had returned to its stable state after a moment of disruption.

Fortunately, the hood covering my head was doing a good job hiding my face. No one seems to have noticed the change when the glamor came undone.

Since the Dark Wolfs were away during the period Angelica was in the Frost Estate she did not have an opportunity to run into them. So she will not be able to recognize Ezra or the rest of the squadron. But the same could not be said of me. My face, I'm certain she will recognize in a moment.

'I can't have the glamor being undone in public. I have to be careful to avoid accidents'

Emotions are not something that can be controlled at all moments, especially if I am around someone as cautious as Angelica. I need to replace the glamor with stronger magic so that it does not malfunction in critical places.