Ellai

Mid of September 2019

Life comes in either different varieties of either or situations, Either you are right or someone else is, either you let yourself feel miserable or you do something to get out of the misery. Which is why Kathir decided to keep Mullai happy and not be downhearted anymore.

One day, he retired home little later than usual. Everyone was in living area catching up as a family. On his way back after his quick evening shower, he saw Mullai alone in the kitchen humming some song. He moved closer to her and sang the next line of the song startling her.

"Kathiru! Neeya? Ipadiya bayamuruthuva".

He could not help but chuckle at her shocked expression and her hand raised with spatula ready to pounce at her attacker.

"Bayangara sandhosama paditutu iruka mathiri iruku? ", He raised his eyebrow ignoring her accusation.

"Chumma than. Inaiku akka'ku mudiyalanu naan than samachean. Veetla samaikarapo ipadi paditu than samaipean. Adhan, apadiyey edho nyabathula", she replied shyly. She did not expect anyone to walk in and she hardly gets alone time in this house and was humming to glory not carrying about anyone, when Kathir walked in on her.

"Seri naan thana ketean. Adhuku edhuku ipadi thayangara?", he eased her. He diverted the topic but asking about the menu and was surprised she had made lot of items.

"Ethuku ithana?"

"Chumma elarukum pudichadhu samaikalamnu. Unaku pudicha meal maker kuda panni irukean. Inga than adha seiyaradhu ilayey, naan senju tharalamnu", spoke her heart. He was overwhelmed by her small gesture and suddenly felt the urge the pull her closer. He hurriedly took a step backwards before he did anything stupid.

They all gathered over for dinner and Mullai took care of serving the food too. She made sure Kathiri got extra share of meal maker.

"Aparam pa Mulla, inum rendu naal sendhu thangitu varadhuna kuda vangapa. Avasarama vara venam". Mullai got confused at Moorthy's statement.

"Enga Mama porom?", she naively asked

"Seriya pochu. Porom illa. Neum Jeevaum Kodaikanal porenga. Jeeva solalaya da indha pulla kita inum?"

"Ada Mama, night surprise solalamnu irundhu irupan, ipadi potu odachutenga", Dhanam chortled at Moorthy.

Mullai suddenly became uncomfortable. Spending few days alone with Jeeva in a confided room and unknown place brought chills to her.

"Puriyala Mama. Nanga matum edhuku?"

"Seriya pochu. Pinna kudumbam mothama poga mudiyum? Enna Mulla nee?", laughed Dhanam cracking a joke or she thought she did.

Kathir stiffened and deliberately did his best not to look at her or acknowledge her. The silence from her only seemed to magnify the anger he felt. He looked at his food, which suddenly did not look as appetizing as it did a few minutes ago. Mullai looked at Kathir for help who was busy with his food. She knew he did not know the truth and thought it as just a trip between the married couple.

As if it was a cue, Kathir lifted his head and saw her. It was obvious that she was unhappy with the trip, but she made no arguments to stop it. Silence took over and they sat there and finished the dinner with the chatter of people talking around them, like two strangers.

Later that night in Jeeva Mullai room

"Mama. Indha tripu...", Mullai stared .

Jeeva could see the hurt in her eyes. He wanted to make up for his mistakes. Maybe taking her somewhere would make her happy, he thought. "En friend oru resort vechu irukan pa. Avan than namba rendu perayum vara sonan. Poitu varalam"