Nerukku Ner

Mullai froze when she heard Dhanam's voice.

"Mulla, irukiya?"

Kathir signaled in his eyes to remain calm and answer. She shivered more and stammered out of fear and cold.

"Akka"

"Thanila okandu azhudhutu irukiya? Modala velila va Mulla.Nama pesikalam. Elam seri ayidum. Thanila okandu un koral otharudhu paaru.Iru unaku dress yedututu varean.Nee modhala adha mathitu velila va.", saying this she walks away.

Finally getting some quiet time, Kathir wanted to have a heart to heart talk with her before it's too late. This small bathroom gave him the privacy to talk to her in person and maybe even apologize for acting on impulse today.

"Kathiru sikiram Akka varadhu kula poidu"

"Mulla un kita naan pesanum"

"Please poidu. Idhuku mela inum kolapadha. Yaravadhu patha romba thapayidum"

Mullai was palpitating by now.He could sense her fright. Yes, they are in a closed space with their entire family outside. As per society, this would not be taken in right sense, if seen together. He could see her already tormenting in guilt. He did not want to cause any more problem to her than what he had already caused.

"Seri. Naan porean. Aana inaiku un kita naan pesanum. Oru 5 nimisham", saying this he leaves.

Later that night, Mullai was still trying to process all happenings of today. She felt a huge lump in her guts. She didn't step out of the room fearing to face the family. Her thoughts shifted to Jeeva and wondered if her life was a joke all along.

New Year eve – Dec 31st 2018

Mullai was all excited about New Year. She started planning it a week ago along with Kanna. Before wedding, she would spend all New Year day with friends. But her mom never treated it a special day, as it did not fit into Tamil calendar, but would use every opportunity to pull her legs. She could still hear her mother's voice

"Eii Mullai. Ipadi pudhu varasham annaiku kulikama thungitu iruka? Ipadi irundha, varusham pura ipadi than somberiya irupa. Ezhidiri sikiram."

She was giggling at these thoughts. She wants to stay happy all day, so it continues the entire year. This year she is going to spend her day with her Jeeva mama and Athai family, what could make her happier she thought.She was running around the house as if her legs were like jelly, the excitement overwhelming her, planning everything meticulously. She had convinced Dhanam to make special sweet and even put a big kolam to welcome New Year the next day. She had plans to burst some crackers when the clock strikes 12.

After dinner, the entire family sans Kathir settled down in mutram. She pulled everyone to play cards. After few games Moorthy and Dhanam wanted to wind up for the day.

"Akka, elarum sendhu velayadalam ka. Apo than nala irukum"

"Nalaiku kovilku elam poganum Mullai. Nenga moonu peru velayadunga"

Mullai was happy at least Jeeva and Kanna stayed back. She wanted to be the first to wish Jeeva when the clock strikes 12. It was little past 11 when Jeeva decided to retire to bed as well.

"Mama, 12 mani varaikum irunga mama"

"Illa pa. Thukkam varudhu. Nalaiku kadaiku poganum."

"Seri, naanum varean"

"Hello Anni. 12 maniku patasu vedikalamnu vangitu vandhu irukean. Annan pogatum. Nenga irunga", Kanna intervened.