Udanpirappu

Mullai felt relieved for unknown reason. She looked around the temple and saw her athai sitting below the dias on the right side. She noticed her athai was watching her intently and made a gesture asking to come to her.

She turned towards Kathir "Naan poi athaiya pathutu vandudarean" and left the podium.

"Edhuku Mulla vandha? Nee inga vandhu kasta padanumnu unaku enna thalai ezhutha?", Lakshmi said teary eyed.

"Adhu elam onum illa Athai. Palasa elam naan onum nenaikala. Naan mama kalyanam pakka vandhean. Avalavu than", she comfortably knelt near Lakshmi to meet her eyes.

"Nee enaiku mathavangala korai solli iruka, inaiku solla.", Lakshmi said with glint of pride and happiness stroking Mullai's hair.

"Apadi yarum inga oru thapum panala. Nenga unga payan kalyanathu anaikum ipadi azhuthutu irukenga. Sandhosama sirichutu irukaradha vitutu"

"Nee vazha vendiya vazhkai ma idhu. Manasuku inum uruthalavey iruku", and held Mullai's hand for comfort.

"Unga marumagala ilaina enna? Enaikum unga thambi ponnu than naan. Ela urimaiyum inum enaku iruku. Nenga kalati vidalamnu yosikadhenga", Mullai pulled out her tongue mocking her aunt.

Lakshmi amma smiled through her tears "Vaalu. Inum kurumbu matum koraiyala"

Meanwhile, Meena saw Mullai talking to Lakshmi and an uneasiness spread her heart.

"Naan avalavu solliyum nee Mullaiya kalyanathuku kuptiya Jeeva?", she nudged him

"Andha pulla varuvanu enaku theiryadhu. Inga vandhu than pathean", Jeeva tried to explain but Meena was not ready to listen

"Amma kuptu irupanga.Andhu pullayum vandhu irukum. Adhuku.."

He barely had a the chance to finish his sentence when Meena fired another question at him

"Inum veetla elarukum ava than mukiyam illa Jeeva?"

Jeeva let out a frustrated breath.

"Andha pulla en mama ponnu. Chinnadhil irundhu veetuku vandhutu pova, elar kudayum pesuva. Ipavum apadi than iruka. Idhuku elam prachanai panadha Meena. Anaiku sonna mathiri, naan Mullai pathi un kita pesa matean. Neeyey ipo aramikadha".

He held her hand to calm her down. He was not sure if the one mistake he did in his life would ever leave him in peace.

"Amam elam naan than aramikarean, nee onum panala.." She pulled away from him and shook her head as tears were fighting to fall.

"Inaiku namba kalyana naal. Moonjiya thuki vechukadha. Please Meena"

Meena thought Jeeva had a point. She was not ready to spoil her big day over a burnt milk. She let it pass and not have a fight with Jeeva now.

Janarthan was watching her daughter mood get soured and he knew the reason. He was getting irritated every passing minute. Kalai sensed he change in her husband's mood and tried to distract.

"Meena, Aparam mapillai kita pesalam. Modhala periyavanga kita aasirvadham vangunga"

Mullai wached Jeeva and meena from afar, now that his athai and she were done talking. Even though he was not trying to show it, she could see him tense. His brows furrowed while he stared at Meena. He was visibly irritated. Maybe she should go and help, she asked herself but did not want to make the matters worse.

"Athai naan kelambata?"

"Adhu kulaya? Sapidama kuda anuparom. Iru, Kannava illa Kathira vida solrean unna. Thaniya poga venam"