Amaidhi

Sakthi's words kept ringing in her mind the whole night. After pondering over what Sakthi spoke, her thoughts were so convoluted, and she woke up feeling disoriented. Maybe what Sakthi said was right. She was overthinking for no reason. Its not that she has not thought about her past before falling in love with Kathir. She was even ready to fight for them and their future. However, when things actually started unfolding, her insecurities and fear took the front seat. Her biggest fear of Kathir repenting her past intimidated her to move forward.

She used to be strong, witty once. She did not want to cry and be depressed anymore. Maybe she should talk to Kathir openly open it.

As she stepped out of her room lost in thought, her mothers voice brought her thoughts back to reality.

"Nee velai mudichutu veetuku varapo maligai saaman vangitu variya? Appa'va vita kasu micham panrenu nadadhe poitu varuvar"

"Seri ma. List kudu...", she said as realization dawned on her that her father gets grocery from Pandian stores.

Though she knew Kathir would be in Karaikudi shop, her heart hoped a little to catch a glimpse of him today. As she approached the store, she became jittery. After Kathir walked away from her, he hasn't called nor made any effort to see her. Neither did she, her mind mocked her. She was the one who pushed Kathir away and she did not want to call and pretend as if everything was ok, when it was not.

As she entered the shop after her work in the evening, she did not see Kathir's vehicle. Both relief and disappointment consumed her. As she walked in, she heard a familiar voice coming towards them.

"Angayum illa mama. Annan kita stock listla sekka solanum"

Her heart skipped a beat, when she noticed Kathir walk from inside the shop towards Kumaresan. A heavy feeling set in the stomach when her eyes met with the familiar brown eyes.

Kathir just gaped at her open mouthed. He was surprised seeing her in the shop. For a minute, both of them looked at each other not speaking anything and waiting for other to start the conversation.

"Va ma. Enna ivalavu dhooram, Kathira pakava?" ,Kumaresan mama let out a guffaw laugh.

Mullai's eyes flickered between Kathir and Kumaresan mama. She was not sure how to begin her conversation with Kathir after how things ended between them last time they met. Though a tiny part of her wished to see him today, she did not come prepared to speak to him.

"Adhu elam Illa mama. Konjam porul vanga vendi irunduchu...", she dragged hoping Kathir understood her as always. She noticed hurt flash trough his beautiful eyes which he masked instantly and walked towards her.

"Lista kudu", his voice was distant as if she was just another customer to the shop.

Disappointment flooded through her, hearing his sharp voice. Maybe he was not as affected as her? Has he already given up on her and their relationship?

Vera enna yosicha Mulla, her mind mocked her.

"Indha", her voice mirrored the aloofness of his voice. As he grabbed the list from her, their fingers brushed, and a wave of electricity passed through her at the sudden contact. A desire to hold on to his hand and vent out overpowered her which she pushed back with great difficulty.

"Enna pa Mullai idhu? Enamo customer mathiri anga ninnu list kudukara. Ulla va ma", Kumaresan mama offered a seat next to him. Her eyes kept wandering to Kathir but he did not cast a single glance at her while he was busy gathering the items for her.

Mullai's eyes converged on to Kumaresan mama who was observing them in silence. There was an annoyed expression on his face, as if something was bothering him.