Thirumanam

Pongal – 2021, Pannai Veedu

Kathir wore the olive green button down shirt with vesti that Mullai gifted him. He got compliments from everyone and he could not wait to show the dress to Mullai. Knowing it was impossible to meet her today, he decided to snap few pictures to show her later.

Kanna was surprised that his brother showed interest in taking pictures.

"Anney, nee thana idhu? Dress panra vidham than maari irukunu partha, aaley mariteyey anne!", he exclaimed while keeping his hand in heart faking a heart attack.

"Odha padama photo yedu da"

Kathir could not stop thinking of Mullai and wanted to know if she wore the saree he brought her, like he wore hers. He decided to send his picture hoping she would send back her picture.

He started choosing a solo picture to send. Later he debated and changed it to a photo where his mom, Kanna and him was there. He sent the picture with the caption Pongal vazthukal!

He waited few minutes tapping the fingers on the phone.

"Enna da Kathiru, ipadi elam yosika aramichuta", he thought to himself and got back to work.

He was helping in cutting the woods for his Anni to cook, when his phone beeped for a message.

He saw a message from Mullai. As expected, she had sent a picture wishing him. She stood smiling at the camera in an Orange saree. He was little disappointed but brushed it off knowing he can't expect her to wear the saree he got her. Rest of the day was busy with entire family gathered. He hardly got any time to message her.  Finally, when he retired to bed that night, he messaged her

Thungitiya?

Illa

Enna oru varthaiyil badhil varudhu. Edavadhu prachanaiya?

Apadi elam onum illayey. Pongal yepadi pochu?

Apo kandipa iruku..enna achu? Enna yosanai?

Mullai can't believe he can read her mind, even through her texts. Her chain of thoughts broke when she got a call. She smiled looking at his name

"Hello"

"Ippo sollu. Message la poi than soluva"

Her soured mood immediately lightened and smiled

"Apadi elam onum illa Kathiru"

"Solunu sonean", he asked sternly

"Jeeva mama kalyanathuku ennai elam kupida matiya?"

Kathir was now taken back with her statement.

"Illa..adhu..unaku yepadi irukumnu theriyala..adhan", he stammered.

"Enamo, varanumnu pola iruku"

She was not sure how to explain to him, that though she has passed the mourning phase, she wanted a proper closure. Maybe seeing Jeeva mama getting happily married would bring in peace and she can let go of the past completely.

"Adhu elam onum venam. Nee chumma iru", Kathir was not ready to accept.

"Illa Kathiru..", she said only to be cut by him

"Kadaila avugala pathu than nee apadi kasta patenu enaku theriyum. Sonna kelu, kalyanathuku elam vara venam", his voice softened.

He was not ready to see her cry again. His family has done enough to bring her sorrow and he did not want to add any more agony to her. Only past few months, he is seeing changes in her. The barrier she always carried around her in slowly evaporating and he is grateful for that. He does not want to go back in time, where she hides in a shell and mourns all alone.