Nambikai

She looked at him and all she could see was the care he had for her. She did not know what he felt about her. However, she was clear how she felt about him. It was clearer than water. It was clearer than her own name. She was in love with Kathirvelan Pandian!

Mullai was in love and the realization was overwhelming, clouding the thoughts of what future held for her. She was not sure what she felt at that point; happiness, sadness, fear, confusion. She felt all these and she felt all these just for HIM.

The entire universe shut down, all she could see was Kathir in front of her. She quickly flung her arms around Kathir, sobbing into his shoulders.

He panicked and immediately tried to separate them, but she nodded a no, not wanting to part from him.

"Andha payan edavadhu thapa pesinana?", he spat, anger suddenly flaring inside of him.

She nodded a no again into his shoulder, held him tighter, and sobbed harder. He hugged her back and held her tighter letting her cry out. After that, not once, Kathir asked what was wrong and just waited until she was ready to talk. Finally, once her sobs started to calm down and when she was able to breathe again, she said

"Apadiyey konja dhooram nadakalama? Vandi venam"

He nodded and they kept walking in an awkward silence. Never before had the silence between them been awkward. Normally, even when they did not speak, they could just be with each other in comfortable silence, but today was different. With the newfound realization, Mullai was not sure what to talk to him or if he still liked her. On the other hand, Kathir was still not sure about why Mullai cried and if she was still going with her wedding plans with the other guy. Both pushed these thoughts to back of mind, as they would only cause more hurt in the end.

Once they reached Municipality park, he led her in. As they walked inside in silence, he held her hand tightly afraid to let go of her. He wanted to be as close to her as possible. The thought of losing her was terrifying and he did not even want to think about it now. Once they reached a small bridge, he pulled her to sit with him and put his arms around her shoulder to keep her close to him as possible. This act of him made her lean onto his shoulder involuntarily.

They just sat there overlooking a water fountain in silence. Mullai finally broke the silence

"Avar romba nalavara than therinjar. Nala pesinar. Ganiyama nadandhukitar. Avar nala naan azhala" she murmured into his chest and noticed him stiffening

"Aparam?", he asked steeling himself for anything that might be thrown at him. He wanted her to be happy and would stand by her, even if it broke his heart to pieces.

"Evalavu nala payana irundhalum, enaku avara kalyanam panna venam!", she confessed and he breathed a sigh of relief and turned to look into her eyes to see if he can read what is going through her head. When she did not look at him, he settled back into their previous position.

"Adhuku en Azhara apo?", he whispered into her ear, stroking her hair, trying to comfort her.

"Theriyala. Azhuga thana varudhu. Aana, idhuvum nala than iruku", she mumbled pushing her face deeper into Kathir's shirt, a tear trickling down her cheek.

Kathir slipped his hand under her chin, pulled her head out of his chest, and looked at her again.

"Nee enna venna pannu, Azha matum seiyadha. Enaku enna panradhunu theriya matengudhu", he whispered while wiping away the stray tear with his thumb.

"Enaku yar munadiyum azha pudikadhu. Aana Un kita thana naan neraya azhudhu irukean. Dhukam, sandhosam elathukum azhuvenu inuma unaku theriyala? Ineram pazhagi irukumnu nenachean", she said knowing that no one knew her better than the man sitting with her now.