Varutham

September end, 2021 – Mullai's house

Days went by faster than Mullai had thought. Kathir never spoke about their future nor wedding after that day in the park. He acted normal around her. Now, Mullai was contemplating ways to bring back that topic and let him know her wish to marry him. She wished to have said yes when he had first asked her a month back.

One day Mullai came home tired after a hectic day at office. When she entered, she noticed her parents busy in talks and failed to notice her.

"Oruthi veetuku vandhadhu kuda theriyama apadi enna pechu rendu perum?.

Enna pa, amma edhavadhu tv serial villi'a thititu irukangala? Moonji ipadi asta konala pogudhey?", Mullai chuckled playfully seeing her mother rolls her eyes on her.

Parvathy did not counter back, which seemed odd for Mullai. She noticed her mom eye her dad and he nodded in negative.

"Enna ragasiyam pesarenga rendu perum?", Mullai questioned all her playfulness vanish in a second.

"Vishayatha nenga solrengala, illa naan solata?", Parvathy asked her husband still not responding to Mullai

Murugan stopped her "Chumma iru Parvathy. Pulla ipo than office la irundhu vandhu iruka. Vandhadhumey aramikadha"

He turned towards Mullai "Amadi. Po ma. Kai kaal kazhuvitu va. Sapidalam. Pakavey sorva iruka"

"Enna pa achu?", she asked starting to get worried

"Ada unga amma pathi theriyadha. Onum illadha vishathuku ipadi pesuva. Nee poitu va. Naan sapadu yeduthu vekarean"

Before Mullai could respond, she was interrupted by booming voice of her mother

"Enna onum illa? Yepadiyum solli thana aganum?

Inga paru Mulla. Trichyla irundhu oru varan vandhu iruku. Kasturi'ku therinja kudumbam, Payan anga oru factoryla managera irukar pola"

Mullai stood in shock trying to process her mother's words. After a minute, she looked at her father for help. Although he did not approve of Kathir, she expected him to give some time for her to make a decision. She looked at her father hopefully, when her mother cut her again.

"Nalaiku naanum, un appavum poi visharichutu varalamnu irukom. Ponna vaati mathiri, nala varana edavadhu solli thati kalichana paaru", Parvathy warned her.

Disappointment washed through her. When she realized her father was into it as well, she turned away from her father and faced her mother

"Amma, enaku indha kalyanam venam"

"Inga paru, kalyanam venamnu inum ethana naal solitu iruka pora. Nee 6 masam time ketta. Adhu epavo mudinjuduchu. Aparam patha payana, thevai ilama venamnu solla vecha. Ipo nee enna sonalum naan kekaradha illa. Nee kalyanam panra. Puriyudha?", Parvathy stated as an amendment.

"Amma.Konjam porumaiya naan solradha kelu. ", Mullai hoped her mother would listen without interrupting.

"Ippo panikama kelavi aana aparam pannika poriya? Un vazhkai keduthavan elam pulla pethukitu sandhosama irukan"

"AMMA!", yelled hoping to make her mother listen to her.

"Parvathy, aparama pesikalam. Pulaya modhala sapida vidu", Murugan played his trump card.

"Udaney vandutunga unga ponnuku supportku.

Inga paaru Mulla. Unaku epo kalyanam pananumnu engaluku theriyum. Idhuku mela pesa onum illa. Nee poi kai, kaal kazhuvitu va. Poi sapidalam", Parvathy replied and tried walking away.