Unavagam

Later that day, Mullai was sitting in her room with a book but her concentration was elsewhere. She just stared at the empty words with no feelings no passion, nothing.

"Cha", she growled loudly as she threw the book on her side. She heard sound of clicking of tongue. Lifting her head, she looked at her father leaning against the door

"Amadi thungalaya?", he spoke in soft voice and walked towards her. She moved aside to make some space for him.

His hand moved towards her waist and he drew comforting circles on her back. She signed, tears blinding her vision. Resting her head on his shoulder, she let a small sob escape her mouth.

"Unga elaraiyum romba kasta padutitean illa pa? Ungaluku naan baaram ayitean illa?", she sniveled.

"Nee aasapa patta vazhkai sandhosama vazhanumnu than nanum amma'vum aasai patom. Ipadi un vazhkai pathila mudiyumnu nenaikala ma. Aana, en ponnu thappa mudivu yeduka matanu nambikai iruku ma", he cleared.

He paused for a moment. "Nee enaikum engalaku baaram aga matey ma. Appa manasu epavum nee sandhosama irukanumnu than yosikum"

She felt his body shudder a little. She knew even though he accepts her decision, he is never going to stop worrying about her.

Her mom entered the room at the same time

"Thirumba avala azha vekadhenga. Unga akka kudumbam munadi en ponnu nala vazhdu kaatuva. Adha avangalum pakka than poranga. En ponna vitutomenu kandipa varutha paduvanga. Poruthu irundhu parunga"

"Aramichutiya? Erkanamey BP iruku. Inum kathi odamba keduthukadha. Poi padu po"

"Unga Akka kudumbatha onnu solida kudadhey. Seri nengalum nerathula vandhu padunga", she complained before leaving the room.

Mullai looked at them with warm smile. No matter how much they bicker, the love for each other was evident. This was the kind of love she wanted in her life, the one she will never experience.

"Amadi Mulla" her dad's voice pulled her out of the trance. She pulled away from him. He rubbed her eyes with back of his hands, while his own eyes were brimming with moisture.

"Phone adikudhu paru ma. Pesitu sikiram neum thungu", he pointed towards her mobile phone. The caller ID showed Kanna.

"Good Night pa". Murugan kissed her forehead before existing the room. Picking up the call, she prepared herself for the loud chirpy voice of Kanna.

"Anni thungitengala?", he asked without his usual cheerfulness.

"Illa da. En koral oru mathiri iruku?", Mullai asked wearily

"Inaiku court ku varalamnu nenachean, anni vidala", he paused. "Ungala naan epovm pola Anni'nu kupidalam illa?"

Mullai felt bad for him. She noticed he never changed the way he called her and she did not try to change it too. She was used to him calling her that way and she felt closer to him.

"Nee apadiyey kupidu da. Oru prachanaiyum illa." And she could feel him smile a little the other side

"Aparam padipu elam yepadi pogudhu?", she changed the topic to lighten the mood.

"Pochu da, nengaluma? Aala vidunga. Padipa thavira pesa onumey illa pola yarukum. Naan poi thungarean. Aparama pakalam", Kanna whined.

"Seri poi thungu. Good night", she laughed before ending the call.

After cutting the call, she placed the phone on side table, pulled change of clothes from cupboard and made her way to the bathroom. She started the shower and let the cold water calm her mind. After spending half an hour under the shower, she felt a lot lighter. She snuggled into her bed and pulled out her favorite book again from the side drawer. It was almost 12 when she stopped reading and turned off the light.