Purakkanipu

Trigger alert: This and following chapter talks about depression, self harming. 

Mullai was wondering what would have happened, if she walked out of the house when she first lost hope in this wedding. Maybe, she could still have her dignity left, if she called it quits, when the thought first came in her head.

May 4th 2019 – Jeeva's Birthday

Tomorrow was Jeeva's birthday. She wanted to make it special for him and was determined to make him realize her love for him. She has waited patiently all these months in hope that he will shed his shyness and start talking to her normally. She had given him space to come around. However staying away from him is not helping. She was getting frustrated and angry for no reason these days. She does not want to feel this way and want him to let go of his inhibitions and treat her as his wife.

She started planning things meticulously. She zeroed on the decorations; cake flavor and even decided to wear something nice and sexy just for him tonight. The thought made her blush but immediately shut it out and went back to planning. She needs to focus and finalize everything on time. She asked almost everyone about gift ideas. All she got was dress, watch, wall clock, showpieces. Dejected, she thought on her own and decided to gift him a chain. This was expensive, at the same time something that he will wear every day. With the money her dad gave during wedding, it might not be enough. She decided to exchange one of her rings to buy him a chain. Not minding the scorching sun, she was wandering the streets and hopping between shops to get him the perfect gift. She had a triumph smile when she zeroed a chain with a M pendant. Her next hop was to buy something nice for her to wear. She mustered up energy and got a chiffon saree with a lacy sleeveless blouse. She was elated about the gift and started walking back home. Not having her lunch and roaming in sun was doing its course and she sat in side of road fearing she might faint.

Kathir who was on way to shop after delivery saw her and stopped the vehicle.

"Eii. Indha, inga en roadla okandutu iruka?"

Mullai wanted it to be a surprise and did not want to reveal it to Kathir. She debated if she could ask him to buy some water or not. As she was too weak to walk home, his help might be needed. Slowly stated the events of the day that lead her here. 

"Adhu Kathiru, Mamaku gift vangalamnu vandhean.Konjam thala suthichu, adhan apadiyey okandutean"

"Enadhu thala sudhudha!!". 

When he saw her looking at him, as if he grew horns, he composed himself and went back to his usual self. "Arivu illa unaku? Ipadi than vegadha veyila varuviya? Sandhirama annana kuptu vara vendiyadu thana?"

She replied pouting "Mama ku gift vanga avangalayeva kutitu vara mudiyum? Birthday ku surprise pananumnu nenachean. Nee kelambu, naan konjam neram kalichu poikarean"

Though Kathir never cared or understood about such materialistic gifts, he felt for her. She had taken so much effort not minding her discomfort just for his brother. He was rubbing his hands over his chest not knowing how he can help her. "Eii. veedu evalavu dhoram. Indha veyila yepadi pova?"

He paused and asked "Saptiya edavadhu?"

"Illa Kathiru. Vetuku poi than sapidanum"

Mullai could see he was visibly angry. This is not the first time he showed concern of her not having food. 

"Seri yeru. Naan vetla vidarean"

"Neeya?"  Mullai almost yelled sounding surprised.