Kovam

Nov 27, 2019 –Pandian house

Kathir felt guilty on his deeds. All his self-control over months would have gone for a toss yesterday. With guilt gnawing him, he avoided meeting her all day. Now sitting at the backyard, he was not sure if Mullai would come for their usual chat. Somewhere deep down he hoped she does not come to see him. How does he even explain his actions to her? What justification can he give her? By now, he should have known about his luck as he saw Mullai approach and sit beside him.

Both sat in silence without knowing how to begin and spoke at the same time

"Nethu.."

Kathir wanted her to talk first even if she is going to rebuke  him.

"Nethu apadi azhudhu iruka kudadhu Kathir. Manichudu", she confessed with her head bowed down.

Kathir looked baffled on why she is apologizing for his wrong, when she continued

"Andha booka pathadhum, enamo mathiri ayiduchu. Enakaga oruthan ivalavu serama pattu irukanu."

He realized she was apologizing for hugging him and did not even realize that he was about to kiss her. He felt guilty and relieved at the same time

"Indha. Panadha thapukku ipadi than manipu kepaiya? Nee adha pathu sandhosa paduvenu than vanginean. Ipadi azhuvanu therinju irundha vangi irukavey matean"

"Ada po Kathiru. Avalavu sandhosam, adhan apadi aludhutean.

Naan indha veetla edhuku irukenu kuda theriyama irukean. Oru dabba, oru pathiram mathiri orama. Ipadi enna pathi yosika kuda yaro irukanganu therinju..", she choked on her words. He looked at him and quickly wiped away the tears.

"Sorry. Adhu.." she struggled to complete without letting him know about her relation with Jeeva. If he throbs her more, she would not even hide it from him. She respected him to keep it a secret anymore.

"Oru nimisham iru. Varean" and he went inside and she breathed a sign of relief.

He returned with 2 cups of tea. They sat there drinking tea and staring at the sky without talking anything. It was a clear sky with full moon shinning on them and he felt very peaceful. He felt at ease away from all the wrongs that he has done or was doing.

"Nila'va patha dharbooshini mathiri iruku illa?", she said breaking the silence.

"Edhu? Dharboosiniya?" he chuckled.

"Chinna vayasila appa, amma kuda motamadiyil okandhu natchatiram enuvean. Apo sapida amma edavadhu pazham tharuvanga. Apadi oru naal dharbooshini saptutey nilava pakarpo, rendu orey mathiri irukunu therinjudhu.", she laughed heartily and proudly as if it was one of most authentic invention of the century.

He was looking at her amused. Was she the same girl who was crying to him yesterday? She was not materialistic and was clean at heart, meaning no harm to anybody. She was an extremely simple person who finds happiness in small things around her. How can she be so childish and matured at the same time he wondered?

"Appa motamadhil vechu than amma ku theriyama epovadhu saraku adipar. Naan amma kita matti vituduvenu solli merati enaku thevaiyanadhu elam senju irukean", she was reminiscing her happy memories and ranted without realizing his gaze on her.

"Appa naan evalavu pesinalum okandu porumaiya keapar. Thappu panalum thitama puriyara mathiri yeduthu soluvar. Avar kovama irundha kuda thita matar. Aana, avar 'ammadi mulla'nu kupidama irundhaley romba varuthama irukarnu naan therinjupean."