Oppudhal

Dec 12, 2019 – Pandian house

Mullai woke up anxious, not knowing what Jeeva was going to talk to her. She stepped into the kitchen after her morning shower to be welcomed by smiling Dhanam.

"Thirumana naal vazhuthukal Mullai. Rendu perum ipo mathiri epovum sandhosama irunga", she blessed with all her heart and an uneasy feeling appeared in Mullai's stomach.

"Kalayil kovil povenganu nenachu Jeeva kita ketean. Sandhiram than porenga pola. Fridge la poo vechu irukean, edhuthu vechuko"

"Seri ka". She answered smilingly. For a minute she thought if Jeeva was trying to surprise her and then immediately brushed it off knowing Jeeva would not have remembered their wedding day and Dhanam would have been the one to remind him.

Little later, she went to backyard to dry her towel when she almost bumped into Kathir. She was so lost in thought she did not even see him come. He held her arm to straighten her.

"Enna achu unaku? Pathu po"

"Huh? Onum illa Kathiru" and just left without even looking at him.

Later when she was sipping tea along with the family, Kathir noticed Mullai's lack of concentration. There was definitely something on her mind, irking her. She was all normal yesterday morning but did not come to see him last night for their usual chats. Before he could find some alone time with her and ask her, Moorthy anna dragged him to the shop with him.

Later in the afternoon, Mullai got a call from Kathir

"Hello", she answered and he knew she was still not normal as she did not address him as Kathiru with her usual cheerful tone and he missed it instantly.

"Illa inaiku oru mathiri irundha, adhan. Enna achu?" he asked concerned.

She wanted to share her fears about her marital life with him, she wanted to vent all our pent up grief and top of it she wanted a shoulder to cry on. However, she did not want to bother him with all her worries. She cannot be so selfish and decided to deal with it herself.

"Adhu elam onnum illla. Amma ku konjam odambu mudiyala. Adhan edho yosanai"

"Oh! Ipo yepadi irukanga? Nee poi pakka poliya? Kondu poi vidanuma?"

"Epovum vara mootu valli than. Rendu naal kalichu poi pathukarean", Mullai was able to fake it really well or she thought so. They talked about a few things that are more random and finally their conversation ended and Mullai stared blankly ahead. She knew it is going to be a long day and felt lonely. To get rid of the feeling, she indulged herself in all housework inspite of Dhanam asking her to rest today.

Later that evening – Kunnakudi Murugan Temple

Mullai and Jeeva offered prayers and sat near the steps for long without uttering anything. She saw sadness in Jeeva's eyes and he was lost in thoughts. Jeeva kept glancing at Mullai, she shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

Jeeva was in his own world. He knew he could never forget Meena. He has been drowning himself to work just as a coping mechanism but he still has not been able to forget her. He tried calling Meena today to inform her about his wedding with Mullai but her phone was switched off. In his love for Meena, he forgot and neglected his responsibilities towards his family.

He finally braved himself and told her about Meena without beating around the bush

"Kalyanathuku munadi naan oru ponna kadhalichean pa", still looking at the sky his voice low and gloomy.

Mullai's eyes widened on hearing this and he added

"Unna nichiyam panadhu enaku romba latea than theriyum. Anni naan unna than kadhalikarenu nenachu nichiyam pesitanga."